Silvia Barra (X)
Silvia Barra (X)  Identity Verified
Italie
Local time: 18:55
anglais vers italien
+ ...
Jan 26, 2009

Hi all!
I don't know if this forum is the right place to pose this question.
Due to my studies (scientific and so not related to languages) I'd like to know what is meant for translation for example, English to English or Italian to Italian and so on.
While for certain languages I can understand that a translator may, for example, translate from two different localised languages (EN USA > EN UK, French (France) >French (Canada)), I do not know what the role of the translator is
... See more
Hi all!
I don't know if this forum is the right place to pose this question.
Due to my studies (scientific and so not related to languages) I'd like to know what is meant for translation for example, English to English or Italian to Italian and so on.
While for certain languages I can understand that a translator may, for example, translate from two different localised languages (EN USA > EN UK, French (France) >French (Canada)), I do not know what the role of the translator is for example in italian.
Thank you for explaining me that.
Silvia
Collapse

Mahmut Karakaya
Mahmut Karakaya
Turquie
Local time: 19:55
anglais vers turc
+ ...
difference Jan 26, 2009

I believe you already know that, among several countries that speak the same languge, many words, idioms and slang words are not understood very clearly because of the dialects which are used and changed by the time by the natives of that country, such as British English and the USA English, Turkish in Turkey and Turkish in Azerbaijan.

As a Turkish, it is really hard for me to understand Azerbaijani Turkish. It is also same for them. In my opinion, that is the main reason to use tra
... See more
I believe you already know that, among several countries that speak the same languge, many words, idioms and slang words are not understood very clearly because of the dialects which are used and changed by the time by the natives of that country, such as British English and the USA English, Turkish in Turkey and Turkish in Azerbaijan.

As a Turkish, it is really hard for me to understand Azerbaijani Turkish. It is also same for them. In my opinion, that is the main reason to use translaters who will be able to make one language understand easier for those whom speak the same language in different countries. It may sound weird but that is real.
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 10:55
anglais vers espagnol
+ ...
In memoriam
Not really translating Jan 26, 2009

When I first came in to Proz I wondered about that also. To and from the same language does not directly involve translating because there is no reference to another language. It appears to be useful when a person needs a clarification of something in the same language, such as a term, word, phrase, grammar, proper usage, etc. So it is for consultations in the same language.

In addition to that I would suppose that some people post a consultation in that manner because there may not
... See more
When I first came in to Proz I wondered about that also. To and from the same language does not directly involve translating because there is no reference to another language. It appears to be useful when a person needs a clarification of something in the same language, such as a term, word, phrase, grammar, proper usage, etc. So it is for consultations in the same language.

In addition to that I would suppose that some people post a consultation in that manner because there may not be many people in the pair they are working with, so if they can get a better grasp of the meaning of something in the source language then they can come up with a good translation in their target language.

I don't go in there too often, but that is what it seems to be for.
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
français vers néerlandais
+ ...
For terminology reasons Jan 26, 2009

Henry Hinds wrote:

This is in case of terminology questions.

As for translation into the same language, you have the localization aspect (British English into American English, European French into Canadian French, or in my case Flemish into Dutch) but also the editing aspect, or to be clear: badly written into good style. I once had a client who had lots of huge, badly written files. It was very repetitive, always the same sentences. After a while, I created a TM from Dutch into Dutch, this worked fine, and even the Context search was very useful.

I wonder if a CAT could be a useful tool for a copywriter. (example: source segment: HNY, target segment: We wish you a very happy New Year)

Chris Lovelace
Chris Lovelace  Identity Verified
Argentine
Local time: 10:55
russe vers anglais
+ ...
Same Language Pairs are used for Editing Jan 26, 2009

Using the same language as both terms in a pair (eg, English>English) is often used on this site to designate monolingual editing and proofing. That is, if an interpreter also offers services (as I do) to proofread and correct texts in English, this option is used.

If dialects are meant, then the pair might read US English>UK English, which is rare.

Silvia Barra (X)
Silvia Barra (X)  Identity Verified
Italie
anglais vers italien
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
Editing Feb 2, 2009

Thank you for your answers. I was not sure that the same language "translation" option was useful also for editing and proofreading. In fact I'm wondering about adding this service to my profile. I know italian very well and always get stressed when I read documents writtend in a bad italian.
Thnk you all and have a nice day
Silvia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating to and from the same language

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »