Off topic: A funny side to the medical lingo
Thread poster: Drunya
Drunya
Drunya
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 9, 2005

Just found it in the British Medical Journal. Loved it instantly; thought I'd share

[quote="]Cardiologists embrace new terminology

Viewed from the plain speaking world of general practice, cardiologists seem to be rivalling dermatologists in developing an ever changing array of terms for conditions they encounter. One particularly disingenuous example recently came my way.

Five years ago, our
... See more
Just found it in the British Medical Journal. Loved it instantly; thought I'd share

[quote="]Cardiologists embrace new terminology

Viewed from the plain speaking world of general practice, cardiologists seem to be rivalling dermatologists in developing an ever changing array of terms for conditions they encounter. One particularly disingenuous example recently came my way.

Five years ago, our practice purchased an automated defibrillator. In the six months before its arrival, I had had need of one on two occasions. For five years after its arrival, it stood unused in the corner of an alcove.

Until, that is, a 70 year old man attended his Monday morning appointment with our practice nurse to have a sutured finger redressed. Commendably, he had parked half a mile from the surgery and walked briskly across town for some exercise. On entering the waiting room, he collapsed. In a surprisingly calm and organised manner he was resuscitated by a GP and two nurses, while receptionists marshalled the absorbed onlookers and telephoned for an ambulance.

Our defibrillator restored sinus rhythm with its first shock. The patient was admitted to hospital, transferred to a tertiary centre for insertion of an implantable defibrillator, and discharged. He continues to attend for six monthly review at our practice and remains active and well. A discharge summary followed with the usual delay. The primary diagnosis? Not “Successful out-of-hospital resuscitation” or “VF successfully defibrillated” but rather “Failed sudden cardiac death.”

Crispin Fisher general practitioner, Marches Surgery, Leominster ([email protected])[/quote]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nice one! Jun 9, 2005

In Finnish they use as a saying: Wrongly extingished fire.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A funny side to the medical lingo

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »