Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:16
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 14, 2004

One of the major benefits of this job must be the thrill felt when a large project you've worked on for weeks finally reaches completion. The feeling of excitement and relief when you press that 'send' button on completing a large project, inevitably accompanied by a list of notes/questions/spelling errors/inconsistencies in the source text, can only be compared to the elation (and exhaustion!!) women feel after giving birth. I remember driving down the motorway minutes after completing a huge ... See more
One of the major benefits of this job must be the thrill felt when a large project you've worked on for weeks finally reaches completion. The feeling of excitement and relief when you press that 'send' button on completing a large project, inevitably accompanied by a list of notes/questions/spelling errors/inconsistencies in the source text, can only be compared to the elation (and exhaustion!!) women feel after giving birth. I remember driving down the motorway minutes after completing a huge assignment while listening to heavy metal music. The drums seemed to echo the joy I was feeling, all the other car drivers were smiling at me and everything was alright. (On hearing the same song later, I wondered why it had sounded so magical at the time.) If only we could bottle that feeling!Collapse

Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:16
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Right! Jun 14, 2004

I agree... you have put it nicely!
I am also usually *SO* exhausted that I feel like sleeping 24 hours non-stop
But it feels good, yeah...
Greetings from Buenos Aires.
Valeria

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
only 200 words to go... Jun 14, 2004

...and I'll treat myself to some overdue Ray Charles

Nice to know this is a universal experience

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
A
... See more
...and I'll treat myself to some overdue Ray Charles

Nice to know this is a universal experience

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator EUTI
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:16
Polish to English
+ ...
Actually... Jun 15, 2004

For the first couple of days after finishing a job (a few weeks' worth) I catch myself feeling guilty for playing with my daughter in the park and not clacking away at the keyboard. It passes, though and then - the next phone call.

Cheers,
Pawel Skalinski

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
I know exactly what you mean Jun 15, 2004

I've got just under 500 words to go and the project I've been working on for about 6 weeks will draw to a close. These kind of projects are nice in a way, because it means something to do for a long time, but as I always have something to do anyway it's hard to fit everything else in, so it usually means extra work.

I'll be glad to see it draw to a close because it was a real toughie, including some terms that I couldn't even find on the net (very specific antiques and wine ...), so
... See more
I've got just under 500 words to go and the project I've been working on for about 6 weeks will draw to a close. These kind of projects are nice in a way, because it means something to do for a long time, but as I always have something to do anyway it's hard to fit everything else in, so it usually means extra work.

I'll be glad to see it draw to a close because it was a real toughie, including some terms that I couldn't even find on the net (very specific antiques and wine ...), so all in all it was hard-going, even though it didn't have a fixed deadline (only an approximate period in which it had to be finished) - This, of course, has its pros and cons, because although it means added flexibility, it also means you having to give yourself a kick up the **** to motivate yourself.

Enjoy your feelings of elation! I'll certainly enjoy mine!

All the best,

Sarah
Collapse

Maria Belarra
Maria Belarra  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Alive again Jun 15, 2004

The first 'real' project I made after I freelanced took me about 9 weeks. When I finally pressed the 'send' button I was completely exhausted. It was a Saturday evening, in summertime. My friends took me to the flat of one of them, cooked me dinner and it was such a beautiful night we ate it crammed on the balcony, anf afterwards we stayed there talking until daylight. I had the feeling of being alive again, after so many weeks st... See more
The first 'real' project I made after I freelanced took me about 9 weeks. When I finally pressed the 'send' button I was completely exhausted. It was a Saturday evening, in summertime. My friends took me to the flat of one of them, cooked me dinner and it was such a beautiful night we ate it crammed on the balcony, anf afterwards we stayed there talking until daylight. I had the feeling of being alive again, after so many weeks stressed working 25 hours a day.

Now I'm at the final stages of a veeeery long project- I have been working on it since end March, and I have still three weeks to go But afterwards..
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Nothing like it Jun 15, 2004

I just have to share with you:

I had four days off this weekend!!!

And it was hot & sunny (nearly) the whole time~! (thundershowers at night)

That's a pretty good feeling too.

But this morning, 4 jobs came in from regular clients.

So... it's back to work for me. But I must say it's refreshing to get out to weed-pulling and petunia-planting for a nice, relaxing change.

Have a great (work)week everyone!...
See more
I just have to share with you:

I had four days off this weekend!!!

And it was hot & sunny (nearly) the whole time~! (thundershowers at night)

That's a pretty good feeling too.

But this morning, 4 jobs came in from regular clients.

So... it's back to work for me. But I must say it's refreshing to get out to weed-pulling and petunia-planting for a nice, relaxing change.

Have a great (work)week everyone!

Nancy

[Edited at 2004-06-15 19:52]
Collapse

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:16
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Different experience Jun 15, 2004

Just to add something new to this collection of freelancers' feelings: I feel a bit jealous...

I translate books, and almost any of my jobs takes it longer than a month. Some years ago I felt the same when I finished yet another book, but not now. Sometimes I feel a relief, sometimes I feel sad because it's difficult to part with a book which became a part of you...

So I'm never feel exalted *after* the w
... See more
Just to add something new to this collection of freelancers' feelings: I feel a bit jealous...

I translate books, and almost any of my jobs takes it longer than a month. Some years ago I felt the same when I finished yet another book, but not now. Sometimes I feel a relief, sometimes I feel sad because it's difficult to part with a book which became a part of you...

So I'm never feel exalted *after* the work is finished, but at some precious moments I feel like this *during* my work.

[Edited at 2004-06-15 20:35]
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Translating books, eh? Jun 15, 2004

Wow... what kind of books do you translate, Kirill?

N.

[Edited at 2004-06-15 21:36]

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
postpartum crisis Jun 16, 2004

Anne Lee wrote:

One of the major benefits of this job must be the thrill felt when a large project you\'ve worked on for weeks finally reaches completion. The feeling of excitement and relief when you press that \'send\' button on completing a large project, inevitably accompanied by a list of notes/questions/spelling errors/inconsistencies in the source text, can only be compared to the elation (and exhaustion!!) women feel after giving birth.

I couldn\'t agree more! I call it \"postpartum crisis\" (no wonder \"delivery\" in English has a double meaning ). IMHO it\'s as close as we guys can get to the experience of childbirth It has just happened to me as some days ago I delivered a 230-page book about quantum physics (popular scientific literature, with a simple approach), probably my largest project so far. And on the one hand I felt relieved, satisfied etc., but on the other hand I started worrying: \"OMG, there are lots of potential readers out there and if I made mistakes no doubt they\'ll notice and I\'ll make a bad impression etc. etc.\".
But I also agree with Pavel: sometimes I feel guilty if I have nothing to do. Probably this feeling comes from university, when we were supposed to do something useful (eg. reading papers in a foreign language, practicing sight translation etc.) whenever we had 5 spare minutes.

Giusi Barbiani
Giusi Barbiani
Sweden
English to Italian
+ ...
Feeling of guilt? Jun 16, 2004

Don't know what that is (or pretend not to)...

Whenever I deliver the translation of a novel or an essay - a process which takes several months, usually longer than expected - I am worn-out, completely drained.

So, why do I translate books? Because I love it and - probably - am a masochist: the greater the fatigue, the more I feel elated.

Wish the economic reward equalled the sense of lightnes
... See more
Don't know what that is (or pretend not to)...

Whenever I deliver the translation of a novel or an essay - a process which takes several months, usually longer than expected - I am worn-out, completely drained.

So, why do I translate books? Because I love it and - probably - am a masochist: the greater the fatigue, the more I feel elated.

Wish the economic reward equalled the sense of lightness we all experienced, so I could leave for an endless vacation. I fancy a secluded retreat in a wood lodge with no phone line...

g
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Delivering babies + Cabins in the woods Jun 16, 2004

Giusi Barbiani wrote:
I fancy a secluded retreat in a wood lodge with no phone line...
g

I know of a few of those around here (still plugging my July 9 pow-wow)

You are right, though - nothing like even a single day floating on the St. Lawrence to rejuvenate one's senses (not to mention get a nice tan after so many weeks in the cave - er, in the office) 8)

As for comparing large projects to childbirth, on delivering Pride and Prejudice (or was it Sense and Sensibility ? I can't remember) Jane Austen declared that this work was her baby.

N.

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
masochism? Jun 16, 2004

Giusi Barbiani wrote:

I think you're right Giusi, IMO every translator - especially a literary translator - is a little bit of a masochist. And as far as I'm concerned there's a bit of sadism, too: at the end of a book I'm so stressed out, so drained that I can't help hating the author (no matter if he or she is actually the "father" of the baby )

Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
To Finish, Ah ... to Get Paid, Ahhhhhhh! Jun 16, 2004

Like everyone, I'm thrilled to finish a big job and get it out the door. It's usually following by a nervous feeling of whether it was edited perfectly or read like a dream ... but that soon passes.

But the best part? Ahhhhhh ... the best part is to get PAID for that big job! Does anyone disagree?!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The elation on completing a big translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »