Thread poster: Therrien
Therrien
Therrien  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:04
English to French
+ ...
Sep 23, 2008

I "fostered" the progeny of some friend of mine by having him file, mess papers up at the office and keep the place clean. I decided to reward his vaillant efforts in study with an on-the-side job as long as he remained in the good graces of his parents.

So we tolerated the baggy pants and the colorful vocabulary just because, really, it added color to the everyday clicketyclacks of the keyboards. Besides, he was a good kid that needed a chance.

Queue his addiction to
... See more
I "fostered" the progeny of some friend of mine by having him file, mess papers up at the office and keep the place clean. I decided to reward his vaillant efforts in study with an on-the-side job as long as he remained in the good graces of his parents.

So we tolerated the baggy pants and the colorful vocabulary just because, really, it added color to the everyday clicketyclacks of the keyboards. Besides, he was a good kid that needed a chance.

Queue his addiction to chocolate milk. He loved the stuff. A quart a day or more. I did try to give him some fatherly advice on the matter, but he pointed at the chart of human rights I have on my wall. He had a point.

One fine day, he had left a quart of chocolate milk in an ice cooler. How long, I don't know, but the results were cataclysmic. It's one of those bottles that seals with a plastic strap. You know? It can contain quite an amount of psi.

The cooler had been moved to access a light bulb, and it was forgotten away from view.

Queue Johny the Cleaner.

He notices the cooler and inspects its contents.

He sees the chocolate milk, realizes the expiration date is still valid on the bottle, while neglecting the fact this cooler stood in the sun for god-knows-how-long.

I was on the phone. I heard a resounding pop. Then laughter. Then several people laughing--and then the whole office.

Johny had pulled the strap of the bottle in the kitchenette. With the seal broken, its contents came flying out splattering the wall, his shirt, the coffee machine, the microwave, his face, the cupboards, everything that was in the line of fire. It was cottage cheese in the making, the smell was horrible. I couldn't help but laugh. The punishement had fit the crime so well I couldn't even think of any retribution. As he would usually put grease in his hair to make it spike... can you imagine taking the curddles out? Oh my.

Fortunately, we all took this incident lightheartedly--even my client on the phone. As for Johny, he still indulges in chocolate milk on duty. But the trauma still remains, we duck as he opens one.

Best regards:

Alex T.
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:04
Spanish
+ ...
Poor Johnny Sep 23, 2008

Thank you for the lighthearted laugh. I'm trying to picture the whole thing, it must have been hilarious.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:04
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Wow, you were lucky! Sep 23, 2008

All I could think of was, boy I'm glad his computer keyboard wasn't near by!

Amy

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:04
German to English
+ ...
My sympathies! Sep 26, 2008

Bleeeeeeeeechhhh! We have had "cottage cheese"-making operations in the minivan thanks to choc. milk bottles left in there, but thankfully no explosions yet.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:04
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What is the fine over there.... Sep 26, 2008

....for cheesemaking under the cover of a translation business?

Therrien
Therrien  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:04
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The type of bottle/milk is the key Sep 26, 2008

I asked Johny for the gory details -- it was one of those plastic Quik chocolate milk bottles, very sugared (fermentation!). It had a pop cap that you would just flip open to drink.

The only thing that was done was to pull the protective strap and poof, the pressure unleashed.

[Edited at 2008-09-26 16:03]

LP Schumacher
LP Schumacher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:04
German to English
Horror Sep 27, 2008

A few years ago I had an explosion involving an outdated can of tomato paste. Teeny-tiny can, but that didn't matter. Anyone entering the kitchen immediately following the "bang!" would no doubt have asked me where I'd hidden the body.

And then there's the story of hot lentils in a blender...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The explosive chocolate milk

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »