looking for an equivalent to "Plain English movement" in Legal Field AND in French
Thread poster: marlene Le Duc (X)
marlene Le Duc (X)
marlene Le Duc (X)
France
Local time: 17:29
English to French
Sep 22, 2021

Good afternoon everyone,

Regarding some studies I am looking for some French language equivalent to the ‘Plain English Movement’, and more especially in the legal field.

Is anyone aware about this kind of regulation regarding the writing of documents destined to laypeople in French Language, or other French-speaking countries?
What about the EEC?

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:29
English to French
+ ...
Hah ! Sep 22, 2021

If there was anything similar WRT French, some reference to it, somewhere, would exist and could be found.

What I can say, based on decades of experience, is that courts, in both languages, use terms and phrases which are not the same as courts on the next town.
French Notaires use text which seems to have been last written (as opposed to "re-used from previous documents") around the Édit de Villers-Cotteret, language which is closer to latin than French.

Over t
... See more
If there was anything similar WRT French, some reference to it, somewhere, would exist and could be found.

What I can say, based on decades of experience, is that courts, in both languages, use terms and phrases which are not the same as courts on the next town.
French Notaires use text which seems to have been last written (as opposed to "re-used from previous documents") around the Édit de Villers-Cotteret, language which is closer to latin than French.

Over the years, I have asked notaires about the meaning of this or that non-understandable sentence, only to be answered "No one knows what it means, don't worry about that."

Word processors have, unfortunately, made re-using existing phraseology the rule.

J L
Collapse

marlene Le Duc (X)

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:29
English to French
+ ...
« simplification du langage juridique » Sep 22, 2021

A mere search of « simplification du langage juridique » returns several links to a Conseil d'état wish issued in 2019. I'm quoting one at random:

http://institut-ulpien.com/loi-vocabulaire-juridique-simplifier-pour-mieux-comprendre/

In other words, and in plain French, pour le coup: "C'est pas demain la veille".
... See more
A mere search of « simplification du langage juridique » returns several links to a Conseil d'état wish issued in 2019. I'm quoting one at random:

http://institut-ulpien.com/loi-vocabulaire-juridique-simplifier-pour-mieux-comprendre/

In other words, and in plain French, pour le coup: "C'est pas demain la veille".

J L
Collapse

marlene Le Duc (X)
marlene Le Duc (X)
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Les notaires sont comme des pingouins endimanchés, trempés dans de l’amidon et poussièreux Sep 22, 2021

Leur langage remonte au Code civil napoléonien, voire au droit Justinien.
Blague à part, il s’agit plus de la rédaction des contrats que le vulgus pecum doit être capable de lire.
Avec le nivellement par le bas, on ne va pas tarder à se retrouver dans le registre de Oui-Oui à la plage.
Néanmoins, j’aurais besoin de savoir si de telles normes ont été suggérées ou imposées dans la francophonie

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Merci pour ce post! Sep 25, 2021

La "plain English campaign" a vu le jour lorsque j'étais jeune. L'anglais juridique peut être très formel et difficilement compréhensible pour le commun des mortels, j'avoue que le français juridique demeure tout bonnement inaccessible pour une grande partie de la population - les premiers concernés pourtant.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

looking for an equivalent to "Plain English movement" in Legal Field AND in French

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »