wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:30
Chinese to English
+ ...
logic May 17, 2007

Shaunna,

IMO the 1st thing that should have tipped you off was the unreasonably high pay rate. For approximately 8 hours of work without leaving your city, they were willing to pay you $4000, which comes to about roughly $500/hour.

Shaunna (X)
Shaunna (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
理解 May 17, 2007

我给他去信,说实在是让scam闹的,不得不小心,希望他理解。
他若真的是scam,就不会理我了。
若不是,就只有希望他理解了。
不过这一定是scam,没跑儿。

Bill Mak wrote:

如果妳也不把錢還給對方,對方也以說妳是詐欺。了錢,妳的錢也有機會被彈回了,有點進退兩難。要考慮找別人幫手,有可能要考慮報警和向銀行找幫手。

另外,支票上有支票號碼,如妳有記下來,還可以查出支票是哪出的。我認為事情不是這樣簡單的。

[Edited at 2007-05-17 19:01]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 02:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
那么 May 17, 2007

Shaunna wrote:

主意是好,可惜晚了--支票我已经存了呀。

而且,确实现在怎么看都是个骗局,我就心安理得地候着,不退。

等受到银行的支票拒付/罚款通知时,一定会给大家汇报一下,以增强教育效果。

通知他们,等4000元入账后,开一张差额支票退给他们。无论如何,赖着就是,顶多是他们的支票取消,你损失的只是银行的手续费。

Shaunna (X)
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes that was suspicious May 17, 2007

At first I thought they made a mistake, maybe they had to pay someone else to travel from other states for interpretation during workdays, and accidentally paid that to me, or that they would need me for more than one events. That was why I asked him about the overpayment.

Another suspicious thing is that he never talked to me over the phone, although he had my phone numbers all the time. I thought that was strange too, considering he is looking for an interpreter.

No
... See more
At first I thought they made a mistake, maybe they had to pay someone else to travel from other states for interpretation during workdays, and accidentally paid that to me, or that they would need me for more than one events. That was why I asked him about the overpayment.

Another suspicious thing is that he never talked to me over the phone, although he had my phone numbers all the time. I thought that was strange too, considering he is looking for an interpreter.

Now I guess even if I hadn't asked him about the payment, he would have come back to me these days to ask for refund.

The more I look at the whole thing, the more I am sure this is a scam.

wherestip wrote:

Shaunna,

IMO the 1st thing that should have tipped you off was the unreasonably high pay rate. For approximately 8 hours of work without leaving your city, they were willing to pay you $4000, which comes to about roughly $500/hour.

[Edited at 2007-05-17 19:16]
Collapse

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
COUNTERFEIT CHECK SCAMS May 17, 2007

MADIGAN WARNS CONSUMERS OF COUNTERFEIT CHECK SCAMS
Attorney General Lisa Madigan today said her office has had an upsurge of calls from consumers who say they have fallen prey to various counterfeit check scams. Madigan said the stories may vary, but the end result is the same: consumers must repay their bank the amount spent from the proceeds of the counterfeit check.

Counterfeit check scams take countless forms and change over time as thieves concoct new ways to lure in vi
... See more
MADIGAN WARNS CONSUMERS OF COUNTERFEIT CHECK SCAMS
Attorney General Lisa Madigan today said her office has had an upsurge of calls from consumers who say they have fallen prey to various counterfeit check scams. Madigan said the stories may vary, but the end result is the same: consumers must repay their bank the amount spent from the proceeds of the counterfeit check.

Counterfeit check scams take countless forms and change over time as thieves concoct new ways to lure in victims. Madigan said some recent examples include:

A consumer receives a letter in the mail with an enclosed check made payable to the consumer. Sometimes the check appears to be written from a business checking account of a legitimate business. The letter often includes a short “deadline” within which to act. The letter informs consumers they have won an international lottery, and that they are required to pay a fee or taxes before receiving the winnings. The letter instructs consumers to call a telephone number in the letter for instructions on remitting the fee or taxes. When consumers call, they are instructed to deposit the check in a personal checking account, and then wire part of the money to the person giving the instructions. The consumer is then told to “keep” the rest of the money.

A consumer is offering an item for sale via the Internet and is contacted by a prospective buyer, and they agree upon a price. The “buyer” sends the seller a check or money order for more than the agreed upon price and asks the seller to wire the extra amount to the buyer. The seller deposits the check in his or her personal checking account, sends the extra amount to the buyer, and later learns the check is counterfeit, sometimes after having shipped the sold item to the phony buyer.

Madigan said these scams typically result in consumers immediately going to a money transmitter, wiring the money and beginning to spend the rest. However, within days, the consumers’ banks contact them to report that the check was counterfeit and that they must pay back the bank immediately or take out a loan to pay back the amount. Sometimes the bank even threatens victims with criminal prosecution.

“Counterfeit checks and money orders have a devastating effect on consumers who cannot afford to pay back thousands of dollars lost in these scams,” Madigan said. “Do not put money in the pockets of thieves who often are hiding in another state or another country. Just don’t cash these checks or money orders and don’t let your family members or friends cash them either.”

Depositing a suspicious check and waiting before spending the money does not guarantee protection from one of these scams. Madigan’s office has reports of consumers who deposited suspicious checks in their personal checking accounts, waited up to two weeks, spent the money, and then later learned the check was counterfeit. Their bank expects them to pay back all the spent money from that check.

Madigan urges consumers to be vigilant of these scams and suggests some tips on how to avoid them:

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. A business rarely sends checks that you were not expecting. You cannot win a lottery for which you did not buy tickets. You cannot win a sweepstakes you did not enter. In addition, playing an international lottery by mail or phone is illegal. People who legitimately buy things from you do not normally send checks for more than the agreed upon price.

Do not deposit any check that you do not know why you received it or where it originated.

There is no safe way to deposit or cash a counterfeit check. Depositing the check and waiting before spending the money does not necessarily protect you from becoming a victim of a counterfeit check scam.

If you receive a suspicious check or money order in the mail and want to turn it over to law enforcement authorities, save the check and the envelope and accompanying letter and turn them over to postal authorities.
www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/pressroom/2006_10/20061019.html

[Edited at 2007-05-17 19:25]
Collapse

Bill Mak
Bill Mak  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
簡單來說 May 17, 2007

pkchan wrote:

...consumers who deposited suspicious checks in their personal checking accounts, waited up to two weeks, spent the money, and then later learned the check was counterfeit. Their bank expects them to pay back all the spent money from that check. ...

[Edited at 2007-05-17 19:25]

簡單來說,直接向銀行說支票是假冒的(銀行應該會立即幫妳看的,因為銀行也擔心被騙)

等支票自動退回就行

對方是騙子,也不可能報警說妳是欺騙,對不?

[Edited at 2007-05-17 19:38]

[Edited at 2007-05-17 19:39]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
我的反应大概没那么机警 May 17, 2007

Shaunna,

实话说,我的反应大概不会那么机警,但从商务的规矩来说,如果是开错支票,开票方应该要求退回支票,同时开出正确的支票。要求受款方还未兑现支票前退回现金是绝对的禁忌。不是骗局还能是什么?因此,你的坚持是必要的。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
angry face May 17, 2007

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Contact my lawyer Larry Powel with this
email:[email protected]
Phone Number:+44xxxxxxxxxx

Yueyin,

Now we know how to make an angry face.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
歪打正着 May 17, 2007

wherestip wrote:

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Contact my lawyer Larry Powel with this
email:[email protected]
Phone Number:+44xxxxxxxxxx

Yueyin,

Now we know how to make an angry face.

Steve,

Actually, I did it by accident, not intentionally.
I just typed "Email:" followed by xxxxxxxx @yahoo.co.uk.

Did you notice that this “Mrs Jane Mayon” appears to be in the United Kingdom, but she “WILLED Ten million United States DOLLARS”? However, I prefer British currency in this case.

[Edited at 2007-05-17 20:41]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Good idea! May 17, 2007

Bill Mak wrote:

簡單來說,直接向銀行說支票是假冒的(銀行應該會立即幫妳看的,因為銀行也擔心被騙)

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
那张支票上没钱 May 17, 2007

Shaunna wrote:

好象没有逻辑嘛。
我也是财务文盲(以为银行把支票clear了就是真的了),所以没有免疫力。

Huijun Suo wrote:

Shaunna,这样的骗局在国内已经用滥了,大家都不觉得稀罕了。我是个财务文盲,正因为如此,我的免疫力也很强:)

等银行通知你跳票, 你汇给他的钱他早收到了。

Lu Zou
Lu Zou  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:30
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
新西兰故事 May 17, 2007

Shaunna wrote:

SF又给我来信,说他给他的银行打过电话,那支票已经 clear 了。

于是我刚给我的银行也打了电话,他们证实说这张支票确实已经clear 了。

还是不放心,大家有没有支票被拒付的经验,大概要多长时间呢?
我上周六存的,考虑是周末,就算是周一process的吧,现在是该clear了吗?

前些日子在新西兰电视看到一个类似故事,一位欧洲某国人在新西兰的网站上从私人手中买了一辆车,而且很快就寄来了支票,告诉卖主如何向欧洲运车。卖主将支票存入银行后,见银行没有异议,就以为万事大吉,便将车发往欧洲。时过四个月后,银行通知那张支票无法兑现。

电视主持人提醒道,有时最长可能需要六个月时间才能确定某支票是否能真正兑现,尤其是国际的和私人的支票。

Shaunna (X)
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
支票 May 17, 2007

这张支票倒是City Bank的,希望能弹回来快点,省得他纠缠。

又给我来了两封信了,不知怎的那英语突然很滥,令我不得不怀疑他以前信慢是不是都找人edit英文去了。

我也试试那张小怒脸儿:

Lu Zou wrote:

前些日子在新西兰电视看到一个类似故事,一位欧洲某国人在新西兰的网站上从私人手中买了一辆车,而且很快就寄来了支票,告诉卖主如何向欧洲运车。卖主将支票存入银行后,见银行没有异议,就以为万事大吉,便将车发往欧洲。时过四个月后,银行通知那张支票无法兑现。

电视主持人提醒道,有时最长可能需要六个月时间才能确定某支票是否能真正兑现,尤其是国际的和私人的支票。

Bill Mak
Bill Mak  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
問題一條 May 17, 2007

如果對方用Wire transfer或Western Union,有沒有可能會欺騙.

會否像支票一樣,我對這方面都不是很了解。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

小心汇款骗局-- be aware of money transfer scams targeting freelancers

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »