Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >
Off topic: Reports from the World Travellers
Thread poster: Kevin Yang
chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 16:25
Chinese to English
Visiting the Chinese world... Jul 3, 2005

Well, it is a foreign world. In these forums I learnt that the Chinese like to rank themselves according to age and seniority. And they like to advertise the type of car they drive...!

Come on 同行们!何必吗!I don't think all Chinese are like this...(are they?)

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Weiwei, Jul 3, 2005

巴黎市长正好为力争2012奥运到你们新加坡去了。他争2012心切,你如果给他用英语发份邮件,以一个新加坡游客的身份给他建议在2012条件里加一条彻底打扫巴黎地铁,有助于拿2012,他准会重视。别忘了请他参观一下你们的地铁

如果能成功,那你可算为巴黎人和众多到巴黎旅游的世界各国游客立大功了 这是给他发邮件地址:http://www.v1.paris.fr/en/contact/write_mayor.asp

weiwei wrote:

** Paris Metro **
Very gooooooood metro system, I must say. The connections are good and you get a train every few minutes. However I might have to tell Bertrand Delanoe (Paris mayor) to clean up their metro stations. Sorry but umm...... they stink.

A bient魌!

[Edited at 2005-06-29 15:50]

[Edited at 2005-07-03 18:13]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 12:25
English to Chinese
+ ...
城市髒亂的問題 Jul 4, 2005

當初在德國住慣了,轉到南美洲很不能適應,因為南美洲人習慣於馬馬虎虎 (más o menos)。不過,南美洲的城市打掃得倒還行,大體上還是比中國的城市強些。或許是西班牙人殖民時已奠定了城市規劃和整頓基礎,所以他們的居住環境還算不錯,只有某些大城市膨脹太快,周邊增出的貧民窟則是一片髒亂。

玻利維亞行政首都拉巴斯,市中心清楚就那麼一條大街,其它平
... See more
當初在德國住慣了,轉到南美洲很不能適應,因為南美洲人習慣於馬馬虎虎 (más o menos)。不過,南美洲的城市打掃得倒還行,大體上還是比中國的城市強些。或許是西班牙人殖民時已奠定了城市規劃和整頓基礎,所以他們的居住環境還算不錯,只有某些大城市膨脹太快,周邊增出的貧民窟則是一片髒亂。

玻利維亞行政首都拉巴斯,市中心清楚就那麼一條大街,其它平行的街道幾分像棋盤,但因地勢高低起伏,所以也產生一些彎道。不過,這中心地帶的街容整頓得還行。往東南較低地點的郊區是有財有勢人家的住宅區,街容更是不在話下。但從機場到城中心路上,左右的高陡區房社則因都市膨脹太快,沒有切實做好規劃,成了貧民聚居的地方,髒亂難以清理,所以該市行政單位幾乎是採取放任政策。

從拉巴斯的歷史看來,這城市最缺乏的就是 la paz (和平),歷史上鬧過不知多少流血政變,曾經有過一日之內產生出六位總統的記錄。最近因人民抗議政府決定賣出該國天然氣的政策,三年之間鬧得下台了兩位總統。至於是非曲直嘛,嚇,外國人會說那是一群笨人,但人家偏偏高興天然資源溢出浪費,也不願意分享外國共利共惠,南錐共同體的理想看來像是二戰前的大東亞共榮圈,人的腦袋還只想著競爭的時候,任誰也不能說服他們可以合作。周邊的國家現在根本不敢想要購買玻國的天然氣。智利和阿根廷已另謀它途以取得能源供應,這下玻國各省由於資源分配不均而鬧起富庶地區獨立自治的要求,差點就要打起內戰了。我在想:如果哪天中國富庶的地區不願意照顧偏遠貧窮的地區,那麻煩可能會像玻利維亞那般。幸好,中國文化裡,還有個禮記禮運大同篇的理想:「大道之行也,天下為公;選賢與能,講信修睦;故,人不獨……。」只要這個理想還存在人的心中,lamento boliviano 就不會在亞洲發生。

秘魯的利馬市以往是西班牙殖民南美洲的行政首都,城市規劃極佳,但人口膨脹已經到達了將近八百萬,所以也產生髒亂的情況。老城區已漸失昔日的風華,成了藏污納構之地,反倒是新興的郊區整潔些。該城有趣的標語是:No confunda su ciudad con suciedad! (Don't confound your city with dirt!) 這說法翻譯起來就失去了味道:"su ciudad" 有三個音節,"suciedad" 一樣有三個音節,由於 "iu" 和 "ie" 是連母音 (diphthongs),兩者後頭的 u 和 e 發音較清,容易混淆,那個標語玩的就是這樣的文字遊戲。Don't confound "su ciudad" with "suciedad"!

各位同仁若看到有趣的標語,不妨提出來同樂一下。
Collapse

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Chance, Jul 4, 2005

I'll give it a try! Maybe he will give me a free ticket to the Olympics (that is if Paris beats London in the bid) as a reward.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Well, Lesley, not all Chinese are so lucky like us. Jul 5, 2005

Lesley McLachlan wrote:
Visiting the Chinese world...

Well, it is a foreign world. In these forums I learnt that the Chinese like to rank themselves according to age and seniority. And they like to advertise the type of car they drive...!

Lesley, 為什麼你對我們的談論有所批評呢?何必呢?每個人總有些經驗可以分享別人,不管是由於年紀大些,經歷多些,或是在某個專業比別人深入些,就像你懂的中文一定比你的同胞多些,因此你可以和他們分享你的中國經驗。我相信,在這裡絕對沒人會對你的同胞說:懂一點中文沒什麼不起?何必嘛!

每個人的資質不同,家世背景不同,得到的機會不同,很自然地所經歷和經驗的也會有不同,因此每個人的命運俱具不同。不過,每個人都會有能夠與人分享的東西,但看分享者以什麼心態去欣賞和領受,每個分享者所得到的也會有不同。Pleasure or distress depends on your point of view.

By the way, when I am travelling on my own, I take economy. When one of the companies sends me on a trip, I travel business. While my drivers drive either Mercedes or BMW, I take my Q-T Nissan March when it comes to driving on my own.

Take it easy, Lesley, you do have something to share. Find out some interesting experiences, tell us about them and it would be a great pleasure for all of us in sharing with you.

[Edited at 2005-07-05 16:38]

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
weiwei, 拜托啦! Jul 5, 2005

如果他真彻底打扫地铁,岂止是一张奥运票

weiwei wrote:

I'll give it a try! Maybe he will give me a free ticket to the Olympics (that is if Paris beats London in the bid) as a reward.

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:25
Chinese to English
+ ...
I second that Jul 5, 2005

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Take it easy...

I don't see how one could find fault with a little chit-chat or joking around, whether it's about one's general age group or what kind of car one's driving...especially when the info is being volunteered. IMHO stereotyping without any basis is more of a faux pas.

Otherwise, we'll just have to stick to the weather.

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
The Chinese... Jul 5, 2005

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

I guess what you see in the Chinese forum is foreign to you because you are not all familiar with our culture **no offense**.

We respect those who are older and more experienced or knowledgeable than us, unless they do something for us to lose this respect. For example, when I address my mum's friends, I call them "uncle" and "auntie". You might find that weird, but I'd find it even more weird if I had to call them by their name. I call my partner's grandma "Oma" (German for "grandma"). I am sure she felt awkward when I first called her that (she might have even wondered where this illegitimate grand-daughter had popped out from), but to me it means being polite and nice. Heck, I even used to call the old lady who sold ice-cream outside my uni "nai nai". My poor grandma.... she must be jealous!

I do not represent ALL the Chinese. The above is just my personal opinion.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:25
English to Chinese
+ ...
Lesley, could you give us some specific examples? Jul 6, 2005

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

In these forums I learnt that the Chinese like to rank themselves according to age and seniority. And they like to advertise the type of car they drive...!

Lesley,

I think your criticism is totally groundless. What do you mean by "rank" and "advertise"? Could you give us some specific examples by quoting what they wrote? You are a native English speaker and you learnt some Chinese in China. You shouldn't have any problems to understand what the people wrote in either English or Chinese in this forum. Some people like South Korean cars, some like German cars and some may like Japanese cars. That's their preferences. What's wrong? If you say you like the cars which are made in New Zealand, that's fine. Even if you say New Zealand makes the best cars in the world, that's also fine with me. It is your freedom to say so.

Why did you specifically point out "the Chinese"? It is better not to offend the Chinese as a whole with such a sarcastic voice. Otherwise, you will not have a good time here.

[Edited at 2005-07-06 03:04]

Bill Lao
Bill Lao
English to Chinese
+ ...
I like the life in Hainan Island Jul 6, 2005

Here I live in Haikou, Hainan Island, on a seaside apartment. I donot need aircontion in Summer, and sometimes I donot need fan at all. Life here is difference from life in Beijing or Guangzhou, where is hot in Summer and has a lot of air pollution.

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Bill, Jul 6, 2005

我以前经过两次海口,时间很短,感觉都很热。大概是季节不同,春秋时反而热?海南的房价是否猛涨?我对三亚印象较好。

我在诺曼底地区,一般比巴黎凉快2-3度。法国北方一般不用电扇和空调,只有部分办公室和商业服务等才用空调。前年酷热时,才第一次想到要买电扇,但一般商店很少有电扇存货,所以早已一枪而空。去年为了以防万一,才下决心买了台小小
... See more

我在诺曼底地区,一般比巴黎凉快2-3度。法国北方一般不用电扇和空调,只有部分办公室和商业服务等才用空调。前年酷热时,才第一次想到要买电扇,但一般商店很少有电扇存货,所以早已一枪而空。去年为了以防万一,才下决心买了台小小电扇,主要是没地方放。去年只用了几次,今年只用了两天。这几天降温,在家里只有18度,外面温度更低。一般我们这里只有8月份才热10天左右。不过我住5楼(这里称4楼),两面窗户一开,空气对流,比电扇和空调强多了。

巴黎因为人多,建筑多,汽车多,污染严重,所以热。但是就这样,巴黎人还是喜欢巴黎,不愿离开,就像上海人,再挤再热也绝不离开上海

Kevin在上海看到的就是有名的年轻人因住房挤不方便才到那里去聚会的地方,看来Kevin是闻其名而去

这是法国今天的天气:http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/mameteo/prevPays.jsp?LIEUID=FRANCE
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:25
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
我很希望巴黎能够申奥成功。 Jul 6, 2005

chance wrote:

巴黎因为人多,建筑多,汽车多,污染严重,所以热。但是就这样,巴黎人还是喜欢巴黎,不愿离开,就像上海人,再挤再热也绝不离开上海

Kevin在上海看到的就是有名的年轻人因住房挤不方便才到那里去聚会的地方,看来Kevin是闻其名而去

Chance,

我很希望巴黎能够申奥成功,名单可能很快就要揭晓了。我没有去过法国,但常常读到关于那里的故事或介绍。我中学读的第一部法国小说是大仲马的《基督山恩仇记》。那书被大家传看得又旧又黄,有的书页还缺少了,但是,故事情节给我的印象太深刻了。我有时也感到矛盾,既想去,又怕失望。就像李敖大师说的,把想象中的东西想得太完美了,真临其境可能会有失望,特别是听Weiwei说巴黎地铁该作大扫除了。你在法国居住很久了吧?是不是也对周边的一切感到“钝”了呢?我对我这里的好奇感已经所剩无几。我昨天刚去加拿大的温哥华玩了四天,以后向大家介绍我的见闻。欢迎你多来这里介绍法国。

听说海南岛是个好地方,我还没有去过,以后找机会去那里看看。我深信环境好,一定会陶冶人的情操,写出的东西会有很美的意境。

Kevin

[Edited at 2005-07-06 08:48]

Bill Lao
Bill Lao
English to Chinese
+ ...
英法现在不都是田园风光? Jul 6, 2005

chance wrote:

http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/mameteo/prevPays.jsp?LIEUID=FRANCE[/quote]

chance,我昨天到了市区走了一回,这才感觉海口夏天的市区的确很热。因为我住在海边,有很多树,还有一个湖,所以在屋里反倒不觉得热。但外边阳光底下还是很热的。三亚有自己的风韵,但比海口要热些。

想不到巴黎污染也很严重呀。过去我还以为,现在欧洲英国、法国等遍地都是田园风光了,工业污染那是上世纪六、七十年代前的事。

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
海南如台灣南部 Jul 6, 2005

Kevin Yang wrote:
听说海南岛是个好地方,我还没有去过,以后找机会去那里看看。我深信环境好,一定会陶冶人的情操,写出的东西会有很美的意境。

Kevin 應該到台灣來經驗一下亞熱帶的風情。定不住心的話,台灣人早就互相打破頭了。不過很妙的是,台灣南部人的性情大體上都比較溫馴,說話速度比北方人慢許多,做什麼事都慢條斯理地,但是很熱情,包管一天到晚這家那家邀請喝茶,點心吃不完。呵,台灣的水果,哎呀呀,那是我在國外生活的二十多年最想念的呢!我到網上找找貼圖,台灣水果真是琳瑯滿目,最近也達成協定要銷往中國去了。來吧,有機會的人都該來台灣看看,這是個好地方,包容力很強的地方。

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
据说已经放上柜台了 Jul 6, 2005

我们这里超市已经有卖了,好贵的!比其他地方的水果贵好几倍呢!但据说都一抢而空,我还没尝上呢。

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

我到網上找找貼圖,台灣水果真是琳瑯滿目,最近也達成協定要銷往中國去了。來吧,有機會的人都該來台灣看看,這是個好地方,包容力很強的地方。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reports from the World Travellers

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »