Thread poster: Yan Yuliang
Yan Yuliang
Yan Yuliang  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
English to Chinese
+ ...
Dec 29, 2013

The Way We Use Computers

Fifty-five years have passed since the invention of the world's first computer in the U.S. Now, across the Pacific Ocean, on a campus located beside the Yangtze River, the number of computers is surging. How do the students use this invention of science and technology?
A large number of students confess that most of their time spent before the computer is devoted to playing games.

Han, a student of the IBC Department, explains, "You
... See more
The Way We Use Computers

Fifty-five years have passed since the invention of the world's first computer in the U.S. Now, across the Pacific Ocean, on a campus located beside the Yangtze River, the number of computers is surging. How do the students use this invention of science and technology?
A large number of students confess that most of their time spent before the computer is devoted to playing games.

Han, a student of the IBC Department, explains, "You just bump into such a wonderful world!"

With the advancement of technology, many games have been developed, such as Starcraft, Age of Empire, and Half-life: Conter-strike. Many of them support online multi-player games, which is the reason for their popularity.

Han, who was a devoted game player just like other boys, says these games "provide entertainment when you are really too free." Yet he also admits indulgence in them might result in low grades and less communication with others.

Other people choose the computer as a tool for watching videos and surfing the net. Guo, who just bought a computer this semester, may typify the devotees of this function of computers. For him a computer is an excellent tool for connecting with the outer world on this out-of-the-way campus.

"I think we all need to get well informed of world affairs as university students," said Guo. "Internet is a good thing in that it provides in-time response for important world affairs. Another good thing is, you needn't go to the theatre any more. You can choose sitting comfortably in the dorm and enjoy your good film on a rainy night, no need to worry about the damp weather!"

Another function of the computer, using it for study, seems to lag behind the fast developing game and entertainment industry.

However, Yi, a student from the English Department, is defying the old image of one sitting in front of a computer for fun. His GRE test due in December, he has been in intensive preparation for months.

"I do a lot of exercise on the computer, and this provides a simulated examination environment," said he. "It helps me to overcome my diffidence. To me, a compute is more than something you can play games or see movies on. It helps me in more significant ways."

Yi said that he could get around 2320 for the exam, a fairly high grade. "And lots of this is owing to this computer," smiled he as he pointed at a 1997-assembled Pentium 133.
Collapse

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yuliang 兄十几年前就有英文大作发表了? Dec 30, 2013

Yan Yuliang wrote:

The Way We Use Computers

Han, a student of the IBC Department, explains, "You just bump into such a wonderful world!"

With the advancement of technology, many games have been developed, such as Starcraft, Age of Empire, and Half-life: Conter-strike. Many of them support online multi-player games, which is the reason for their popularity.

Han, who was a devoted game player just like other boys, says these games "provide entertainment when you are really too free." Yet he also admits indulgence in them might result in low grades and less communication with others.

Other people choose the computer as a tool for watching videos and surfing the net. Guo, who just bought a computer this semester, may typify the devotees of this function of computers. For him a computer is an excellent tool for connecting with the outer world on this out-of-the-way campus.

"I think we all need to get well informed of world affairs as university students," said Guo. "Internet is a good thing in that it provides in-time response for important world affairs. Another good thing is, you needn't go to the theatre any more. You can choose sitting comfortably in the dorm and enjoy your good film on a rainy night, no need to worry about the damp weather!"

Another function of the computer, using it for study, seems to lag behind the fast developing game and entertainment industry.

However, Yi, a student from the English Department, is defying the old image of one sitting in front of a computer for fun. His GRE test due in December, he has been in intensive preparation for months.

"I do a lot of exercise on the computer, and this provides a simulated examination environment," said he. "It helps me to overcome my diffidence. To me, a compute is more than something you can play games or see movies on. It helps me in more significant ways."

Yi said that he could get around 2320 for the exam, a fairly high grade. "And lots of this is owing to this computer," smiled he as he pointed at a 1997-assembled Pentium 133.

佩服佩服!

[Edited at 2013-12-30 05:26 GMT]

Yan Yuliang
Yan Yuliang  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
哪里是发表,是大学习作 Dec 30, 2013

一个奇怪的网站上,收录了当时我们班同学的英文习作。
现在读来,感觉真是恍如隔日。学习知识最好的时间,还是在学校里啊。

J.H. Wang wrote:

佩服佩服!

[Edited at 2013-12-30 05:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-12-30 06:16 GMT]

ricky liu
ricky liu  Identity Verified
China
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...
时光胶囊 Dec 30, 2013

是不是有种时光胶囊的感觉。

oscar3
oscar3
Chinese to English
佩服 Jan 2, 2014

佩服佩服

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

十几年前的一篇作文....居然可以google到

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »