English to Chinese
我想到的 Nov 10, 2013

Phil Hand wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Phil Hand wrote:

back against the wall, sink or swim

这个说法的含义是:不能单单做你百分百掌握的事儿,必须勇于承担难度大、有可能失败的大任务。

应该搜索一些跟勇气有关的说法,比如:备勇当先。

I agree with Phil. 孤注一掷, 多多益善 etc.. also come to mind. But some of these terms have negative connotations.

Yeah. What's interesting is that "get in over your head" is normally negative. Rhetorically, Mayer is subverting the phrase. I have never been able to do that in Chinese - it requires a sensitivity to phrases that I haven't properly built up yet. I don't even know if it's possible in the same way. I think a straightforward positive 成语 would work well as a translation (Marvin's 迎难而上 is great), but I'd like to see if there is a way to match it exactly.

中性的:勉为其难、力有不逮
褒义的:知难而进、知其不可而为之
贬义的:不自量力、逞强冒险

在楼主给出的原文中,可考虑译为“知其不可为之”是梅耶尔的行事准则。

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:11
English to Chinese
+ ...
我的版本 Nov 10, 2013

看了大家提供的各种译法,我也抽个热闹:

置于死地而后生

仅供参考。

[Edited at 2013-11-10 09:34 GMT]

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
另一个版本 Nov 10, 2013

绝境求生

或许用在这里更合适些,尤其是考虑到雅虎公司的实际情况。

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
Local time: 18:11
English to Chinese
这个比较土 Nov 10, 2013

“没有金刚钻,也要揽瓷器活”

Fargoer
Fargoer
Canada
Local time: 18:11
English to Chinese
直接按字面译 Nov 10, 2013

“勇蹚没顶深水”

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
挑战极限 Nov 10, 2013

也许值得考虑。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:11
Chinese to English
+ ...
Get in over one's head Nov 10, 2013

Fargoer wrote:

中性的:勉为其难、力有不逮
褒义的:知难而进、知其不可而为之
贬义的:不自量力、逞强冒险

在楼主给出的原文中,可考虑译为“知其不可为之”是梅耶尔的行事准则。

Fargoer 这些都挺好。 J.H. 建议的我也很欣赏。 其实我昨晚思想开小差时也想到了 力不从心、 先斩后奏 这些成语。

Here's a few more that I just thought of that might also fit the bill:

初生牛犊不怕虎 (neutral)
不知天高地厚 (on the negative side, so I think it sits well with the original tone of self-mockery)
欲与天公试比高 (quoting Mao)

[Edited at 2013-11-10 16:33 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:11
Chinese to English
+ ...
开个玩笑 Nov 10, 2013

癞蛤蟆想吃天鹅肉 ...

I know ... it's way too derogatory a saying for this context. Nevertheless, the meaning isn't all that remote from what she was saying about herself. The only difference is what she set out to do was doable. She pursued her vision, took the risk, and eventually attained her objective.

In essence, what Marissa Mayer was saying is she always sets her goals high, and pushe
... See more
癞蛤蟆想吃天鹅肉 ...

I know ... it's way too derogatory a saying for this context. Nevertheless, the meaning isn't all that remote from what she was saying about herself. The only difference is what she set out to do was doable. She pursued her vision, took the risk, and eventually attained her objective.

In essence, what Marissa Mayer was saying is she always sets her goals high, and pushes herself to the limit.

[Edited at 2013-11-10 15:33 GMT]
Collapse

QHE
QHE
United States
Local time: 20:11
English to Chinese
+ ...
四字经 Nov 10, 2013

http://smartblogs.com/leadership/2013/11/01/why-marissa-mayer-is-always-pushing-past-her-comfort-zone/
“Do things that you’re not quite ready to do,” Mayer says, summing up the career philosophy that led her to take the top job at Yahoo. She believes that to succeed, you should “get in over your head” — and carefully manage your ambition. “Always surround yourself with the smartest people,” she advises.
---

Given a 75% increase in the company’s stock price during her first year as CEO, you have to hand it to her: Marissa Mayer takes risks that could put her in over her head, but she manages to stay above water.

想到的四字经:

有进无退
逆水行舟
赴汤蹈火
力争上游

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

译文探讨

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »