Thread poster: Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:00
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 10, 2017

A client gave me a few documents (user manuals, lots of repetitions) so that I can craft a quote.
I've been given a copy of a previously translated manual, but it's a physical copy, not digital. If the client accepts the quote I'll OCR these and align them to prepare the TM. Right now I only have a digital file of both originals (the one I need to translate, and the one that was used as the source for the translation that's already done). Is there a way to create a "fake TM" (from the orig
... See more
A client gave me a few documents (user manuals, lots of repetitions) so that I can craft a quote.
I've been given a copy of a previously translated manual, but it's a physical copy, not digital. If the client accepts the quote I'll OCR these and align them to prepare the TM. Right now I only have a digital file of both originals (the one I need to translate, and the one that was used as the source for the translation that's already done). Is there a way to create a "fake TM" (from the original of the one that's already translated) that allows me to count the content that actually needs to be translated?

Thanks.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Fake TM Nov 10, 2017

Serena Marangoni wrote:

I've been given a copy of a previously translated manual, but it's a physical copy, not digital. If the client accepts the quote I'll OCR these and align them to prepare the TM. Right now I only have a digital file of both originals (the one I need to translate, and the one that was used as the source for the translation that's already done). Is there a way to create a "fake TM" (from the original of the one that's already translated) that allows me to count the content that actually needs to be translated?

Thanks.

Create a fake TM
Open the original source file in your favorite CAT tool
Copy source to target
Confirm and commit the segments to the TM. You now have a TM filled with the sentences of the original, it doesn't matter what's in the target.
Close the original source file
Open the new source file
Run the analysis against the TM populated as above. You'll have the analysis of the new source file with matches from the original source file taken into account.

Don't forget to charge for the time needed to populate the TM, OCR, align, etc. It does take time.

Philippe

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 17:00
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Charge for creating a TM and for OCR-ing Nov 13, 2017

If the client is unable to provide a TM from the reference text, I would quote EUR 0.10 per TU, in addition to the hourly rate to OCR the reference text. The purpose is to create a TM and to leverage it against the new text.

If the client disagrees, I would quote my standard rate for the new text. You could check the repetitions between the source text that has already been translated and the one that is to be translated and deduct them accordingly from the total volume. It is fair,
... See more
If the client is unable to provide a TM from the reference text, I would quote EUR 0.10 per TU, in addition to the hourly rate to OCR the reference text. The purpose is to create a TM and to leverage it against the new text.

If the client disagrees, I would quote my standard rate for the new text. You could check the repetitions between the source text that has already been translated and the one that is to be translated and deduct them accordingly from the total volume. It is fair, isn't it?

Georgi
Collapse

Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fair Nov 14, 2017

It sounds fair. Obviously the client thinks that the translation is already done and expects a very low rate... I have enough work right now, so I could just refuse if the rate is not what I think is adequate for the time/work invested, but this is a very good client, and I don't want to disappoint them.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Unreasonable Nov 14, 2017

Serena Marangoni wrote:

It sounds fair. Obviously the client thinks that the translation is already done and expects a very low rate... I have enough work right now, so I could just refuse if the rate is not what I think is adequate for the time/work invested, but this is a very good client, and I don't want to disappoint them.

That's unfortunate, but their expectations are unreasonable. OCR + alignment (+manual corrections) can be very time consuming, so expecting not to pay for that and even ask for "discounts" on repetitions/fuzzies on top of that seems totally unreasonable to me. If they're really a "good" client, they should understand this if you explain it to them...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing previously done translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »