Inițiatorul discuției: Silverthorne (X)
Julie Dion (X)
Julie Dion (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:21
din engleză în franceză
long distance clients Sep 3, 2009

Silverthorne,

Why don't you try to get US or Canadian clients about a year before you leave for North America. You'll see how working outside of your time zone works out and you'll already have clients in your new time zone when you get to Mexico.

Good luck with your plans!

Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
Another two cents Sep 3, 2009

I was born in Mexico, I married a US citizen, and due to his job, for the past ten years or so we have been relocating between Canada, the US, Mexico, and Brazil. Who knows where we will go next.

During all this time, I have had no problem keeping my clients (mostly from Canada and the US, and a few Europeans). Since I am a US citizen, I have to pay taxes to Uncle Sam, no matter where I live, and that is what I do every year. I guess the rules for the UK might differ.

... See more
I was born in Mexico, I married a US citizen, and due to his job, for the past ten years or so we have been relocating between Canada, the US, Mexico, and Brazil. Who knows where we will go next.

During all this time, I have had no problem keeping my clients (mostly from Canada and the US, and a few Europeans). Since I am a US citizen, I have to pay taxes to Uncle Sam, no matter where I live, and that is what I do every year. I guess the rules for the UK might differ.

While I was in Mexico the last time (2005-2007), I had a hard time getting local customers for two reasons:

1) Most of them were reluctant to pay "international" rates. They used to pay $250 pesos (around $25 US at that time) for a page from EN to ES, and found it expensive to pay the peso equivalent of 10 cents US per source word. Translators working exclusively in the Mexican market tend to offer lower rates than the average US or international rates. So I concentrated in expanding my base of "foreign" clients.

2) Almost all the Mexican clients requested an official "recibo de honorarios" with the corresponding Registro Federal de Contribuyentes (RFC). Every single transaction is subject to the VAT tax, and the VAT tax has to be paid to the Ministry of Revenue pediodically. So, if you are paying taxes to another country, registering yourself with Secretaria de Hacienda to get this RFC number might prove a costly mistake. Not three months after I had registered (and still not having issued a single receipt), I was already getting notices from Hacienda informing me that I had not filed my VAT reports... What VAT reports if I had not yet issued a receipt for a Mexican client???? To make the story short, it got so complicated that I canceled my number (me di de baja), and decided to work exclusively with foreign clients. So a word of caution regarding paying taxes abroad and having to pay them in Mexico too if you get an RFC.

I believe getting an FM3 should not be very problematic, and I believe you are entitled to one if you marry a Mexican citizen.

Also, you do not mention where in Mexico you plan to relocate, but not all of Mexico is as hot as Wolfgang seems to believe. Very few places in Mexico City need air conditioning, and very few people in Mexico practice the almost forgotten (but probably healthier) lifestyle of a "siesta" anymore.

[Edited at 2009-09-03 18:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-09-03 18:54 GMT]
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexic
Local time: 02:21
din engleză în spaniolă
Aguas de Marco: Sep 3, 2009

Absolutely right!

While reading all postings at my email box, I was tempted to reply exactly as you've done, but for two reasons I did not: full of work & lack of time. (An European client needs my attention.)

But, that's it fellows: hear, hear to Aguas de Marco.

Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
Thank you... Sep 4, 2009

...for the support, Tadzio

[Edited at 2009-09-04 17:16 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-04 17:47 GMT]

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2]

Pentru acest forum nu a fost numit niciun moderator.
Pentru a raporta încălcarea regulilor site-ului sau pentru a solicita asistență, vă rugăm să contactați personalul site-ului »

Moving to mexico after becoming established in the UK

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »