Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 18:21
German to English
+ ...
Oct 28, 2004

Dear all,

I am working with Trados Freelance 6.5.1.406 on Windows XP. Having set up a separate memory for a new job, I have noticed that the concordance function is not finding anything except 100% matches, although "minimum match value" is set at the lowest possible level.

For example, I tried to use concordance to find "Erkundungsverhalten", but it didn't work, although I had translated "Erkundungsverhaltens" a few lines earlier.

If anyone knows what is w
... See more
Dear all,

I am working with Trados Freelance 6.5.1.406 on Windows XP. Having set up a separate memory for a new job, I have noticed that the concordance function is not finding anything except 100% matches, although "minimum match value" is set at the lowest possible level.

For example, I tried to use concordance to find "Erkundungsverhalten", but it didn't work, although I had translated "Erkundungsverhaltens" a few lines earlier.

If anyone knows what is wrong here, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Ian
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try desktop search Oct 28, 2004

Since I have installed Google desktop search I noticed I use it all the time. It finds all those occurences of a phrase from the last three years on my hard-disk.
Don't know about the Trados function, Wordfast searches all TMs, but Google's better.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:21
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Advice from a non-user Oct 28, 2004

Hi Ian:

SDLX does that on occasion, irrespective of settings.

A good workaround sometimes is to highlight a few surrounding words e.g. "zwei Bier in Düsseldorf" instead of just "zwei Bier".

Whether this works in Trados I know not, but I hope it helps.

If it does, I'll look to your concordance on Sat.

Cheers

Chris

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Isn't that just the way it is? Oct 28, 2004

Correct me (anybody) if I'm wrong, but isn't Concordance a word-based feature? So if you have "Erkundungsverhaltens" in your TM and put "Erkundungsverhalten" into Concordance, then this is (according to my calculations) a 0% match, because it's a different word. Just like you wouldn't get a concordance for "four" and "for" or "tank" and "thank".

Regards,
Stefan

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes, but... Oct 29, 2004

Hi,
Took me a while to respond, since I double-checked with Trados Support first. Concordance is indeed word-based, but a word with a different ending should be identified with a minimum percentage of, say, 60%.

Try reorganising the TM - if it still doesn't work, contact me through my profile; in that case I'd be happy to forward the TM to Trados.

Cheers, Ralf

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Can I trust concoradance at all ?? Oct 31, 2004

I just had the following problem - with Trados 6.0.0.309 build 310 (patched), installed on Win XP home + Office 2003 Pro:

Taking back a medium sized file to be completed, I cannot remember the translation used earlier for "werkkom", in the same file. I just hit the concordance tool and... I get many occurences of "werk" and "werking", none for "werkkom".

Tried setting higher (and lower) minimum match values (was 70%): identical results until 82%, zero results above 82%
... See more
I just had the following problem - with Trados 6.0.0.309 build 310 (patched), installed on Win XP home + Office 2003 Pro:

Taking back a medium sized file to be completed, I cannot remember the translation used earlier for "werkkom", in the same file. I just hit the concordance tool and... I get many occurences of "werk" and "werking", none for "werkkom".

Tried setting higher (and lower) minimum match values (was 70%): identical results until 82%, zero results above 82%!

Tried all combinations of raising max number of results, reorganizing TM (less than 9000 TUs), adding more words to the search, etc. etc.: no change.

Tried to search another word present in one of the sentences with werkkom translated earlier ("hulpstukken") and the TU ("Met de hulpstukken in de werkkom [...]") comes up normally within 5 hits.

I used to trust Trados for my consistency checks, and now I am discovering that Trados is probably tricking me into generating inconsistencies! ... ...

[Edited at 2004-10-31 18:35]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
See above... Oct 31, 2004

Hi Luca,

...contact me through my profile; in that case I'd be happy to forward the TM to Trados.

This suggestion certainly also applies to you.

Best regards,
Ralf

Hanne Frederiksen
Hanne Frederiksen  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
The global concordance problem Nov 11, 2004

It seems as if this could be a common problem with Trados/Windows XP. I am using Trados 6.5 and Windows XP, and I am experiencing the exact same problem over and over again. Now, I already mentioned the issue a few months ago in this forum, and actually Ralf Lemster offered to go through my Trados memory. At that point I had sort of given up on it, so it never went any further. Sorry about that, Ralf.

But now I see that other translators have the same problem. Another thing that I'
... See more
It seems as if this could be a common problem with Trados/Windows XP. I am using Trados 6.5 and Windows XP, and I am experiencing the exact same problem over and over again. Now, I already mentioned the issue a few months ago in this forum, and actually Ralf Lemster offered to go through my Trados memory. At that point I had sort of given up on it, so it never went any further. Sorry about that, Ralf.

But now I see that other translators have the same problem. Another thing that I've been wondering about; My TM is set to show the most recent hits first. It never does. The dates are totally random. Maybe there is a connection between the two problems. This unreliable operation of the concordance function is very frustrating, and as someone else said, you loose your confidence in the system.

Surely Trados support must have heard of this problem before, but apparently they cannot/will not do anything about it ...?

Best wishes,

Hanne
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Concordance solved with a indexing application Nov 11, 2004

Save all your TMs (and your glossaries too) as text and index the folder, then instead of using F3 (concordance in Trados) copy&paste the word into the program (copernic desktop, DTsearch, X-friend, Filehand, Google Desktop,...) it is so fast as the concordance in Trados and makes no mistakes.

Rgds

[Edited at 2004-11-11 23:24]

[Edited at 2004-11-11 23:41]

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 21:51
Lost productivity Dec 18, 2004

This is a genuine problem! Concordance is one of the most compelling reasons to go in for a TM tool, and Trados concordance is confusing to say the least. I have gradually lost confidence in its results, causing me much overhead in having to check out previously translated files manually.

Not to mention that in my case, the dreaded "previous request not yet finished" message rears its head about the third time I use concordance in a Trados session, after which I have to reboot
... See more
This is a genuine problem! Concordance is one of the most compelling reasons to go in for a TM tool, and Trados concordance is confusing to say the least. I have gradually lost confidence in its results, causing me much overhead in having to check out previously translated files manually.

Not to mention that in my case, the dreaded "previous request not yet finished" message rears its head about the third time I use concordance in a Trados session, after which I have to reboot (Trados only, mercifully, not my system). This started happening only after upgrading to the latest release of Trados, though (Build 438).

As an aside, I am also a DV 3.x user, its concordance was extremely powerful, especially its differential highlighting feature which showed the exact divergences in case of < 100% matches, making modification of partial match translations a breeze.

Anil Gidwani

[Edited at 2004-12-18 13:29]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Concordance not flexible enough

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »