Binnur Tuncel van Pomeren  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:55
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 9, 2007

Dear collegues,

Few days ago, some of you came up with nice solutions for our problems of dealing with PDF files. Upon reading your suggestions in this forum, I have fumbled among all the softwares you mentioned, and decided to try ABBYY. Indeed ABBYY Fine Reader 8.0 Professional Edition looks very straightforward. However, is it without shortcomings?
Today, my whole day was booked how to use this software. Working on it seems simple, but converting the translation back into
... See more
Dear collegues,

Few days ago, some of you came up with nice solutions for our problems of dealing with PDF files. Upon reading your suggestions in this forum, I have fumbled among all the softwares you mentioned, and decided to try ABBYY. Indeed ABBYY Fine Reader 8.0 Professional Edition looks very straightforward. However, is it without shortcomings?
Today, my whole day was booked how to use this software. Working on it seems simple, but converting the translation back into PDF calls for either expertise or license of this software.
My particular problem was in using the object blocks and texts. The object block was supposed to move with the text, which appeared to do so in the ABBYY platform, whereas this change was ignored after its conversion to PDF.

Can this problem be a result of using a trial version (according to me, it should not be. Otherwise, I would expect to be notified during my attempts.)?
Sincere regards and thanks a million times for your assistance.

Binnur
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Abby is not supposed to create pdfs Aug 9, 2007

Dear Binnur,

As far as I know, Abby FineReader's intended task is not to create pdfs from other sources. It is instead a software for optical character recognization.

If I want to create pdfs, I use pdf995, a software that works as a printer driver: For instance, if you want to create a pdf from a word document, you just print the word document, selecting pdf995 as a printer. The pdf will then be created and saved. Very easy, very straightforward.

Kind rega
... See more
Dear Binnur,

As far as I know, Abby FineReader's intended task is not to create pdfs from other sources. It is instead a software for optical character recognization.

If I want to create pdfs, I use pdf995, a software that works as a printer driver: For instance, if you want to create a pdf from a word document, you just print the word document, selecting pdf995 as a printer. The pdf will then be created and saved. Very easy, very straightforward.

Kind regards,
Erik
Collapse

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
German to English
cute pdf Aug 9, 2007

Could possibly be a trial version limit. Another useful and free tool to create pdf files is cute pdf writer - avalaible at www.cutepdf.com

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
ABBYY not the tool for you Aug 9, 2007

Binnur Tuncel van Pomeren wrote:
...but converting the translation back into PDF calls for either expertise or license of this software.

Finereader does have a scan2pdf function, but I never really thought of Finereader as a PDF creating program. Wouldn't it have been easier to just create the PDF straight from your word processing program?

pascie
pascie  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:55
English to French
+ ...
The most effective and competitive program Aug 10, 2007

Please check Docudesk.com

Binnur Tuncel van Pomeren
Germany
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will try your suggested tools. Aug 10, 2007

Dear all,

Thank you again for your efforts to answer my questions.

I have rechecked my question. I might have confused you a little bit by saying "reconverting to PDF file". So, I thought I can reformulate my question to make it clearer.

What had happened was I was given a scanned test. I have translated it after its conversion into word file.
What I later did, I have taken the original scanned file, processed it in ABBYY FineReader. (Meaning as well,
... See more
Dear all,

Thank you again for your efforts to answer my questions.

I have rechecked my question. I might have confused you a little bit by saying "reconverting to PDF file". So, I thought I can reformulate my question to make it clearer.

What had happened was I was given a scanned test. I have translated it after its conversion into word file.
What I later did, I have taken the original scanned file, processed it in ABBYY FineReader. (Meaning as well, the plain translated document was pasted to keep its original scanned format) This worked (including that some pictures between-sentences were considered as text blocks).
After this, I thought it might have been worthwhile to use these pictures as object blocks instead of text blocks.
In ABBYY platform it worked very well. The platform gives you several saving options (into Word, Excel, Powerpoint and PDF). Knowing that this scanned file is too large for word, I always prefer to use PDF platform.

Briefly, I tried to use ABBYY as a PDF editor. In its own platform, it worked perfectly, but it did not show the ability to save it into other formats as seen in its own platform.

I will now try your proposed pdf-writers (better said pdf editors) and will see what happens.

Thanks again and enjoy a perfect (for us somewhat rainy perfect) day.

Binnur

[Edited at 2007-08-10 07:06]

[Edited at 2007-08-10 07:07]
Collapse

Iwona Szymaniak
Iwona Szymaniak  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It must be the trial version Aug 10, 2007

I use the licensed version of FineReader and it really works OK. But I never rely (unless it is just a plain text) on the software analysis of the layout. I do it by hand myself. You can mark pictures as picture blocks, tables as table blocks, etc. and will get them included in the text where they should be.
I have never used FineReader to get files back to PDFs. I use PDF Creator that also works as a printer.

Iwonka

Germany
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not converting into PDF, buuut... Aug 10, 2007

Dear Iwonka,

Thank you very much for your information, which gave rise to another question from my side.

SzIwonka wrote:

I have never used FineReader to get files back to PDFs.

Iwonka

Do you change then into which program, within Abbyy FineReader?

[Edited at 2007-08-10 11:11]

[Edited at 2007-08-10 11:11]

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Acrobat 8 Aug 10, 2007

What I later did, I have taken the original scanned file, processed it in ABBYY FineReader. (Meaning as well, the plain translated document was pasted to keep its original scanned format) This worked (including that some pictures between-sentences were considered as text blocks).
After this, I thought it might have been worthwhile to use these pictures as object blocks instead of text blocks.
In ABBYY platform it worked very well. The platform gives you several saving options (into Word, Excel, Powerpoint and PDF). Knowing that this scanned file is too large for word, I always prefer to use PDF platform.

Briefly, I tried to use ABBYY as a PDF editor. In its own platform, it worked perfectly, but it did not show the ability to save it into other formats as seen in its own platform.

I will now try your proposed pdf-writers (better said pdf editors) and will see what happens.

This sounds like a very awkward way to work.

First of all, what you call "PDF editor" is a contradiction in terms, a PDF is not meant to be edited. It can be transformed into another format, or new content added - but editing: no, especially not a flattened PDF.

From what I understand, the source file is a (flattened/scanned) PDF, that also includes images or non-readable elements. You're supposed to translate the text, but also fill in some blanks or otherwise add new content, right?!

I'd do like this:
1. OCR the source in Abbyy, while keeping the layout and non-readable objects as images.
2. Save as Word.
3. Translate the text straight in Word, or via your favourite CAT tool, while at the same time filling in the blanks/test questions or whatever content you need to add.
If the file is really too big for Word to cope, you should really consider about upgrading your hardware.
4. Generate a new PDF, either by any of the shareware programs mentioned, or by Acrobat.
(5. If you still need to add content, post-PDF, there is a clever function in Acrobat 8 called the typewriter tool.)

I really don't see the need to make all these somersaults while trying to edit during the PDF stage, everything can be done so much easier in Word.

/Jan

Germany
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree with you, but Aug 13, 2007

Jan Sundström wrote:

This sounds like a very awkward way to work.

/Jan

Dear Jan,

I agree. However, this was the only option left after my word layout did not show any similarity to the flattened original pdf. In the end, I called the ABBYY support for help. I sent them my work and they also failed to solve my problem. No matter what they did, the layout was not the same as in the original. I have tried Able2Extract. It is a good option for simple layouts. Still, sometimes the texts get splitted and appear to be confused to the extent the layout gets more complex.
Well, lest I lose more of my valuable time in the future when I am given an assignment of the same sort , I will struggle further with this issue.

Warmest regards and thanks.

Binnur

[Edited at 2007-08-13 06:56]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ABBYY FineReader 8.0 Professional Edition trial version

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »