Thread poster: Jelena Madunic
Jelena Madunic
Jelena Madunic  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 01:39
English to Croatian
+ ...
Jul 1, 2007

Any advice is welcome on the editing of .pdf files, i.e. translating the embedded text from English into CE language. the first problem I encountered is the font (I do not own commercial fonts usually used in Owner's Manuals and similar technical documentation, such as Helvetica or Futura fonts). The second problem is with specific Central European characters (the old version of Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0, which I own, does not offer support for CE characters, according to their web support)... See more
Any advice is welcome on the editing of .pdf files, i.e. translating the embedded text from English into CE language. the first problem I encountered is the font (I do not own commercial fonts usually used in Owner's Manuals and similar technical documentation, such as Helvetica or Futura fonts). The second problem is with specific Central European characters (the old version of Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0, which I own, does not offer support for CE characters, according to their web support).

Please reply if newer versions of Adobe Acrobat Pro solve this problem, and what can be done about the fonts (how to replace them with similar, open type fonts)?

Thank you.
Collapse

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 20:39
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Welcome to this forum Jul 1, 2007

Hi Jelena
Thanks for joining ProZ - wish you a lot of fun and good work here!
Try searching the topic threads on this forum: http://www.proz.com/forum/73 - you may find something useful regarding PDF.
Best regards,
Fabio

Thomas Ochiltree
Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:39
Latin to English
+ ...
One possibility Jul 1, 2007

Jelena Madunic wrote:

Any advice is welcome on the editing of .pdf files, i.e. translating the embedded text from English into CE language. the first problem I encountered is the font (I do not own commercial fonts usually used in Owner's Manuals and similar technical documentation, such as Helvetica or Futura fonts). The second problem is with specific Central European characters (the old version of Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0, which I own, does not offer support for CE characters, according to their web support).

Please reply if newer versions of Adobe Acrobat Pro solve this problem, and what can be done about the fonts (how to replace them with similar, open type fonts)?

Thank you.
One possibility is to invest in ABBYY FineReader. This program turns PDF files into look-alike Word files that you can edit just like any Word file. You can overwrite the file, thus producing for the client a facsimile document (including illustrations) he/she will probably be delighted to receive, and saving you the work of time-consuming formatting (recreating tables, etc.) The original font will be preserved and appear in your overwriting. Because it is now a Word document, you can access all of Word's characters available under "symbol" (which is just about every one conceivable. Nothing is perfect: for ABBYY FineReader to work the document has to be readable (i.e. not too faint, or one of those crookedly placed documents customers often send) but I think as a one time investment it is well worth the price and may largely solve your problem. How much does it cost? I got a bargain upgrade, and recommend that you go to Amazon on input ABBYY fine reader into Google and check out the different offers. Good luck, Tom

Walerij Winnyk (X)
Walerij Winnyk (X)
Ukraine
Local time: 02:39
Chinese to Ukrainian
+ ...
Free possibilities also exist... Jul 1, 2007

Another possibility is to use Linux, where you can open .pdf files in KWord and edit them there directly (complex formatting may be lost at the opening). Free (non commercial) fonts for the Croatian language in Linux exist as well.

[Edited at 2007-07-01 16:45]

Jelena Madunic
Jelena Madunic  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Jul 1, 2007

Thank you for recommendations - I will see how the trial version of ABBYY will work on some other documents and than make a decision on purchase...

I'm afraid I am not familiar with Linux solutions, but as I hear more and more people use it as alternative - should be worth looking into.

Thank you again for useful tips.

Rox-Edling
Rox-Edling
Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
Foxit PDF Editor Jul 1, 2007

Foxit (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/) has a whole bunch of PDF applications and not too expensive editors. Unfortunately it has some coding problems, but maybe for Croatian characters it goes well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing .pdf files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »