Tae Kim  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 10:16
Lid 2007
Engels naar Koreaans
+ ...
Jun 3, 2007

Hello

I am thinking about buying Adobe Acrobat software. I found there are standard and professional versions with the standard version being a lot less expensive, but from the descriptions I read about them, they all seem to do just about all the things I need to do as a translator working with the software. So, should I buy the standard or professional version? Will I be missing the functions the professional version has when I do my translation work? Will the standard version
... See more
Hello

I am thinking about buying Adobe Acrobat software. I found there are standard and professional versions with the standard version being a lot less expensive, but from the descriptions I read about them, they all seem to do just about all the things I need to do as a translator working with the software. So, should I buy the standard or professional version? Will I be missing the functions the professional version has when I do my translation work? Will the standard version ok in using it for my translation work? Thank you so much in advance.
Collapse

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 12:16
Spaans naar Frans
+ ...
It depends on which tasks you need to perform... Jun 3, 2007

If you only need to create PDFs, there are some really cheap tools out there...

Sarah Brenchley
Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:16
Spaans naar Engels
+ ...
Not worth it Jun 3, 2007

Since a PDF document is the finished version of an article, it is unlikely that as a translator you will be asked to work with a pdf-formatted document. In my opinion, I would not bother buying the full version of adobe acrobat. I personally prefer just to use the reader or foxit.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Duitsland
Lid 2004
Engels naar Sloveens
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
side remark - Enrico! Jun 3, 2007

... a sticky topic par excellence!

Vito

PS: there's been so many (and recurring) questions about Acrobat, PDF etc, this deserves to become a sticky topic. see discussions under

http://www.proz.com/post/583158#583158

Tae Kim
Tae Kim  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 10:16
Lid 2007
Engels naar Koreaans
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
I appreciate your comments Jun 3, 2007

Thank you all for your very helpful comments and answers. I guess I'll just buy the standard version, my experiences also tell me I would not be using the software very often either.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazilië
Local time: 14:16
Portugees naar Engels
+ ...
Translating documents in PDF format Jun 3, 2007

Sarah Brenchley wrote:

Since a PDF document is the finished version of an article, it is unlikely that as a translator you will be asked to work with a pdf-formatted document. In my opinion, I would not bother buying the full version of adobe acrobat. I personally prefer just to use the reader or foxit.

I am constantly asked to translate documents from PDF format. In my experience this is not uncommon at all. I have a program that converts PDF to Word, but it's really useless for translation because of formatting problems, so I just put up a blank Word page a little less than half size, on top of the PDF and translate that way...it works fine for me.

Amy

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
Frankrijk
Frans naar Nederlands
+ ...
Same here Jun 4, 2007

Amy Duncan wrote:

Sarah Brenchley wrote:

I am constantly asked to translate documents from PDF format. In my experience this is not uncommon at all. I have a program that converts PDF to Word, but it's really useless for translation because of formatting problems, so I just put up a blank Word page a little less than half size, on top of the PDF and translate that way...it works fine for me.

Amy

I know how to proceed, but if it is too complicated or if the texts are too small to convert, I proceed by direct translation in Word. The formatting you'll obtain with Acrobat or its small sisters will be the image of your Word document, in no way the same as the original.
The only other way is working directly on the Quark files, and even then there are problems if you don't have the same fonts as the printing house.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe Acrobat

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »