Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Word Counting Packages - your experiences?
Thread poster: Alex Eames
Richard Walker
Richard Walker
Local time: 09:17
Japanese to English
Beware PractiCount and Asian languages Feb 8, 2006

I bought and used PractiCount for a while, but had to give it up after my clients started complaining. I translate from Japanese to English and it was counting Japanese characters twice (apparently because they are double byte). I was overjoyed with the results, but the people receiving invoices were less enthusiastic.

I found it rather slow too.

Now I just use some home-brewed VBA code to take care of the counting. It's quicker and I know how the results are derived so
... See more
I bought and used PractiCount for a while, but had to give it up after my clients started complaining. I translate from Japanese to English and it was counting Japanese characters twice (apparently because they are double byte). I was overjoyed with the results, but the people receiving invoices were less enthusiastic.

I found it rather slow too.

Now I just use some home-brewed VBA code to take care of the counting. It's quicker and I know how the results are derived so I have an easier time defending them to clients.
Collapse

George Inndorf
George Inndorf
Local time: 03:17
English to Hebrew
You can try also FineCount Mar 5, 2006

You find the software here: www.tilti.com

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:17
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I have to say I still use Mar 6, 2006

Practicount 2.08 and it has only one bug- whatever the starting folder, it asks for diskette. Have to click "Cancel" every time I get it started. But that's the only bug. It counts also textboxes, headers, footers, numbers and like according to your settings. It doesn't count words in Visio artwork tables, but then we add that manually.

We don't use it for repetition count (there is Trados, isn't there- and all clients ask for Trados analyzes, not Practicount, Finecount or Whateverc
... See more
Practicount 2.08 and it has only one bug- whatever the starting folder, it asks for diskette. Have to click "Cancel" every time I get it started. But that's the only bug. It counts also textboxes, headers, footers, numbers and like according to your settings. It doesn't count words in Visio artwork tables, but then we add that manually.

We don't use it for repetition count (there is Trados, isn't there- and all clients ask for Trados analyzes, not Practicount, Finecount or Whatevercount analyzes). We haven't upgraded to version 3 as it costs additional money for features we really don't need (invoice creating and like- we have separate software for that).

But I have not encountered any "Type Mismatch" error in my Practicount version.

But yes, of course, you should check your needs before choosing the software, however, I'm afraid that choosing one by criteria that it counts twice as much words as Word, will not go down very well with your clients

Uldis

Isabelle35 wrote:

You can count complicated word files with embedded Word Art or Diagrams, which normal ms word is not counting.
And there is also one new feature. You a nice feature: possibility to make profiles and specify counting settings for each of your clients.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word Counting Packages - your experiences?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »