Off topic: Opera users: What does yours look like?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 26, 2005

Translators have different needs than ordinary users of a browser. A translator would therefore customise his browser in a different way.

This question is for Opera users... how did you customise yours? What does your Opera look like? Grab a screenshot (with at least one page open) and post the URL, or tell us about it.

Here's mine (Opera 6.06 on my slow office machine
... See more
Translators have different needs than ordinary users of a browser. A translator would therefore customise his browser in a different way.

This question is for Opera users... how did you customise yours? What does your Opera look like? Grab a screenshot (with at least one page open) and post the URL, or tell us about it.

Here's mine (Opera 6.06 on my slow office machine):
http://www.leuce.com/tempfile/operafluff.jpg (125 kb)
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
by way of reply Sep 26, 2005

I wouldn't say that I'm a sophisticated Opera user, so these comments are in the 'my two cents' worth' category. All the cool IT types I know use Firefox, but if Opera is faste, at least that gives me a reason to be quietly smug.

I chose Opera a couple of years ago on the principle of 'anything but IE', and I've been happy with it ever since after overcoming the initial familiarisation. I essentially use it the way it came, except for any customisation I've done more or less acciden
... See more
I wouldn't say that I'm a sophisticated Opera user, so these comments are in the 'my two cents' worth' category. All the cool IT types I know use Firefox, but if Opera is faste, at least that gives me a reason to be quietly smug.

I chose Opera a couple of years ago on the principle of 'anything but IE', and I've been happy with it ever since after overcoming the initial familiarisation. I essentially use it the way it came, except for any customisation I've done more or less accidentally.

What I value the most is the tabbing. I have Google set as the home page, and I typically open the Proz Kudoz (questions) page and Term Search pages in new pages so I can quickly tab between them. I also usually open URLs from Google searches in new pages, so I can just close them when I'm done or leave them open until they're no longer necessary, and I don't have to mess with backtracking through a sequence of opened pages to get back to where I came from.

That's about it.
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
For Google Sep 26, 2005

Kenneth Cox wrote:

... I have Google set as the home page...

That's about it.

You don't need to take this main place for Google, it works every time you type g and the word(s) you are searching into the URL bar.

Regards.

Toledo

[Edited at 2005-09-26 15:03]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:45
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Not even that is needed Sep 26, 2005

there is Google searchbar right to the right of the addressbar.

Uldis

Toledo wrote:
You d'ont need to take this main place for Google, it works every time you type g and the word(s) you are searching into the URL bar.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
I have delete it Sep 26, 2005

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

there is Google searchbar right to the right of the addressbar.

Uldis

Toledo wrote:
You don't need to take this main place for Google, it works every time you type g and the word(s) you are searching into the URL bar.

I like better a big URL bar, no need for a extra bar.

But if you want, you can configure this extra bar for, for example LEO (dic EN-DE) or Answer (www.answers.com) or, well each one need another things...

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:45
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
One more useful tip Sep 26, 2005

though not directly related to Opera:

http://www.cleverkeys.com

It's a free and very small program:

"CleverKeys is free software that provides instant access to definitions at Dictionary.com, synonyms at Thesaurus.com, facts at Reference.com and more — from almost all Windows or Mac OS programs, including word processors, Web browsers and most e-mail programs. With Cleve
... See more
though not directly related to Opera:

http://www.cleverkeys.com

It's a free and very small program:

"CleverKeys is free software that provides instant access to definitions at Dictionary.com, synonyms at Thesaurus.com, facts at Reference.com and more — from almost all Windows or Mac OS programs, including word processors, Web browsers and most e-mail programs. With CleverKeys, the answers are just a click away."

You just mark the English word and after simultaneously press "Ctrl + L" (of course, you can change the hotkeys to your liking).You are instantly shown definition via your browser.

Uldis

Toledo wrote:
I like better a big URL bar, no need for a extra bar.

But if you want, you can configure this extra bar for, for example LEO (dic EN-DE) or Answer (www.answers.com) or, well each one need another things...

[Edited at 2005-09-26 21:24]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opera users: What does yours look like?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »