Will Trados Studio ever be available for Mac?
Thread poster: Emanuele Vacca
Emanuele Vacca
Emanuele Vacca  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:17
Member (2020)
English to Italian
Sep 19, 2022

Hi all! I hope this is the correct forum where to ask this question. As I will have to buy a new computer in a few months, I was wondering: will Trados Studio ever be available for Mac? I mean directly, without Bootcamp, Parallels or VMWare. I dare to hope this because I remember that a few years ago, when RWS was about to acquire SDL, they were planning on making Studio available for Mac, at least according to rumours. Is any industry insider willing to risk losing his/her job to answer my ques... See more
Hi all! I hope this is the correct forum where to ask this question. As I will have to buy a new computer in a few months, I was wondering: will Trados Studio ever be available for Mac? I mean directly, without Bootcamp, Parallels or VMWare. I dare to hope this because I remember that a few years ago, when RWS was about to acquire SDL, they were planning on making Studio available for Mac, at least according to rumours. Is any industry insider willing to risk losing his/her job to answer my question? I guess a lot of translators would love to have Studio directly on Mac.

[Edited at 2022-09-19 20:58 GMT]
Collapse

Elena Feriani

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Not likely Sep 19, 2022

Trados depends on a lot of libraries, plug-ins etc. that are only available as Windows software. Same goes for mQ.

Lingua 5B
Stepan Konev
Emanuele Vacca
Wolfgang Schoene

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:17
English to Thai
+ ...
VM on MAC? Sep 20, 2022

Why don't you try Windows emulation virtual machine environment on Mac. Some translators are using it now.

Soonthon L.

Emanuele Vacca

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:17
English to Russian
No Sep 20, 2022

Here is why.

Emanuele Vacca

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Hmmm Sep 20, 2022

Emanuele Vacca wrote:

Hi all! I hope this is the correct forum where to ask this question. As I will have to buy a new computer in a few months, I was wondering: will Trados Studio ever be available for Mac?
I guess a lot of translators would love to have Studio directly on Mac.

[Edited at 2022-09-19 20:58 GMT]

Not sure that I would go for it

Alan Halls
Alan Halls  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Unlikely.... Sep 21, 2022

I've used Transit - and occasionally Trados - since 1999 and switched to an iMac about 8 years ago because hardware-wise they are highly reliable. This meant using VMware and/or Parallels. I have often suggested to STAR that a MacOS version of Transit would be brilliant but I don't think they're interested. Trados is the same. They would need a completely new programming concept.
But the reliability of the Mac hardware does make sense in my opinion.
The OS is as buggy as Windows bu
... See more
I've used Transit - and occasionally Trados - since 1999 and switched to an iMac about 8 years ago because hardware-wise they are highly reliable. This meant using VMware and/or Parallels. I have often suggested to STAR that a MacOS version of Transit would be brilliant but I don't think they're interested. Trados is the same. They would need a completely new programming concept.
But the reliability of the Mac hardware does make sense in my opinion.
The OS is as buggy as Windows but differently buggy. And Monterey is at least a stable OS again.
So I'm staying with that rather than go for browser based alternatives that, in my view, are not really alternatives.
Collapse

Emanuele Vacca
Wolfgang Schoene

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Bugs? Sep 21, 2022

Alan Halls wrote:

The OS is as buggy as Windows but differently buggy.

What bugs are you referring to?

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Hmm Sep 23, 2022

Alan Halls wrote:

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Alan Halls
Alan Halls  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Mac bugs... Oct 4, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Alan Halls wrote:

Hi Wolfgang, hi Hans!
Examples...
I have two Synology NAS for all our data. They boot up at 6 am and shut down in the evening. As long as I turn the macs off in the evening and reboot them after the NAS boot up, there's a chance the macs will find them. Not always but often. The start-up preferences are set to find them. If I leave the macs on at night, the next morning they've forgotten all about the NAS and I have to log on to them afresh. That doesn't happen with windows.
Finder: I set the finder preferences to include certain items in the left hand pane. Drives, ssd etc. One I repeatedly set is Desktop. But that setting only stays a couple of days and then disappears. The others don't.
When I set up a mac I set it up from scratch as if I were in UK but wirh a German keyboard and euros as currency. That way all my settings are 100% English. The date at.top right displays correctly as e.g. 4 Oct. A few days later, I change the locale to Germany to get better hits and immediately MacOS puts a full stop after the number in that date. Nothing else changes, the spelling stays English but there's suddenly a German fullstop after the number. That's a tiny issue but I notified Apple about 5 years ago and they didn't even reply.
There are other issues but nothing dramatic. No crashes. But the claim that MacOS is the bees knees is, I'm afraid, not wholly accurate. It's still a very stable system and that's what counts.
Alan

[Edited at 2022-10-04 15:34 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Shit happens, as they say Oct 4, 2022

Alan Halls wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

Alan Halls wrote:

Hi Wolfgang, hi Hans!
Examples...

Finder: I set the finder preferences to include certain items in the left hand pane. Drives, ssd etc. One I repeatedly set is Desktop. But that setting only stays a couple of days and then disappears. The others don't.

When I set up a mac I set it up from scratch as if I were in UK but wirh a German keyboard and euros as currency. That way all my settings are 100% English. The date at.top right displays correctly as e.g. 4 Oct. A few days later, I change the locale to Germany to get better hits and immediately MacOS puts a full stop after the number in that date. Nothing else changes, the spelling stays English but there's suddenly a German fullstop after the number. That's a tiny issue but I notified Apple about 5 years ago and they didn't even reply.
Alan

[Edited at 2022-10-04 15:34 GMT]

I have set Desktop in the left hand pane ages ago and it stays...

I just noticed the tiny dot after Tue 4. Oct. 17:47. I have been using Macs for the best of about 35 years and never noticed it. Should I consider some Linux distro ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will Trados Studio ever be available for Mac?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »