What do you charge for English-German interpreting jobs (simultaneous or consecutive)?
Thread poster: Regina Freitag
Regina Freitag
Regina Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:54
English to German
+ ...
Jul 20, 2023

Dear interpreters,

I've been working for several years as a freelance translator, and recently passed my exam as an interpreter too.
Regarding prices, I checked several sources, but it's such a huge range that I'm not any wiser. I would like to start quoting on one or the other job, but don't want to end up asking the client (in this case a translation agency) what they would consider a proper price. That seems quite unprofessional. lol.
I wonder, is there a reliable pr
... See more
Dear interpreters,

I've been working for several years as a freelance translator, and recently passed my exam as an interpreter too.
Regarding prices, I checked several sources, but it's such a huge range that I'm not any wiser. I would like to start quoting on one or the other job, but don't want to end up asking the client (in this case a translation agency) what they would consider a proper price. That seems quite unprofessional. lol.
I wonder, is there a reliable price list somewhere to refer to, or what do you think is an acceptable price for me as a beginner, both for simuntaneous and consecutive jobs? Do you charge per day or per hour?
Also, I'm curious if you usually work with translation agencies or rather with end clients?
Thank you so much!!!

Kind regards, Regina

[Edited at 2023-07-20 01:27 GMT]
Collapse

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Take a look at the Interpreters Pool Jul 20, 2023

Here on ProZ you will find the Interpreters Pool https://www.proz.com/pools/interpreters.
You could take a look there and get an idea of the rates (hourly rates) that colleagues in your language pair charge and what their experience and expertise are.

Regarding per-day or per-hour charges, for on-site assignments, half-day or full-day charges are common.
If you are intere
... See more
Here on ProZ you will find the Interpreters Pool https://www.proz.com/pools/interpreters.
You could take a look there and get an idea of the rates (hourly rates) that colleagues in your language pair charge and what their experience and expertise are.

Regarding per-day or per-hour charges, for on-site assignments, half-day or full-day charges are common.
If you are interested in working remotely too, charging half a day for a 1-hour business videocall is probably not going to go down well with the client In this case, you would generally charge by the hour.

And direct clients or agencies, that’s really up to you and who you can find, or who finds you

I hope this helps!
Collapse

Regina Freitag

Regina Freitag
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 20, 2023

That helps a lot, thank you so much, Maria!

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Silvia Mendez
Silvia Mendez  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Cautious Jul 20, 2023

Germany is one of the markets where I know interpreters are best paid. So, be cautious.

You say you recently passed an exam. Former teachers at your school ought to be able to tell you. or what exam are you talking about ?

Also, German Association of Interpreters and Translators (BDUE)

Regina Freitag

Regina Freitag
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 20, 2023

Thank you very much, Silvia! It's good to hear that they are well paid in Germany. I did my translator's exam at uni, but did a state exam as interpreter, for which I prepared on my own, therefore I can't ask the institution where I took the exam, I think, but I will check with BDÜ.

Kind regards,
Regina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you charge for English-German interpreting jobs (simultaneous or consecutive)?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »