Spanish-English Interpretation assignment in Nepal.
Thread poster: yugoslavia
yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
Local time: 17:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 25, 2023

Dear Proz.com interpreter colleagues from Nepal or colleagues who are foreigners living in Nepal,

I hope you are doing well. I'm writing to you because I was offered a Spanish-English conference interpretation assignment in Nepal for only three days during the middle of March. I'm a Spanish interpreter living in New Jersey,

I would like to know if I may need a work visa if I travel to Nepal for only three days to attend this conference. I tried to call The Consulate of
... See more
Dear Proz.com interpreter colleagues from Nepal or colleagues who are foreigners living in Nepal,

I hope you are doing well. I'm writing to you because I was offered a Spanish-English conference interpretation assignment in Nepal for only three days during the middle of March. I'm a Spanish interpreter living in New Jersey,

I would like to know if I may need a work visa if I travel to Nepal for only three days to attend this conference. I tried to call The Consulate of Nepal in New York City but nobody answered the phone. I left several messages.

I got in touch with The Consulate of Nepal in Chicago, the lady who answered the phone didn't know about this. I'm an American Citizen but I'm also holding Spanish citizenship.

Thanks for the information that you can provide me. Feel free to write to me in Spanish.

Kind regards,
Yugoslavia
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
are you sure it is not a scam? Feb 27, 2023

Did you check carefully everything about the request?

Jorge Payan
Barbara Carrara
Kevin Fulton

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Unusual Feb 27, 2023

Usually customers will find someone locally. If I had to name the easiest language combination for finding an interpreter ES-EN would be it.
Why are they so interested in you? Have you worked for them before? Why is it worth it for them to fly you to the opposite side of the world for just 3 days? That's a long supply line and you might not arrive at the expected time.

Lots of unusual things about this assignment. Have they booked your flight yet?

Or, um, do you h
... See more
Usually customers will find someone locally. If I had to name the easiest language combination for finding an interpreter ES-EN would be it.
Why are they so interested in you? Have you worked for them before? Why is it worth it for them to fly you to the opposite side of the world for just 3 days? That's a long supply line and you might not arrive at the expected time.

Lots of unusual things about this assignment. Have they booked your flight yet?

Or, um, do you have to make your own arrangements and they'll just reimburse you later on?
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Barbara Carrara
Kevin Fulton
Miranda Drew
Robert Forstag

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your response. Feb 28, 2023

Hi Mr. Potter and Mr. Lee-Roth,

I'm sorry about the delay. I have just got your messages.
I hope you are doing well in Spain and Pennsylvania. I hope that you are healthy and safe from Covid19.

My client is a technology company based in India. I don't think there is a scam. They are honest. I checked everything about the request. They are bidding for this interpretation project. I'm a Spanish International Interpreter and I was offered to be an interpreter overse
... See more
Hi Mr. Potter and Mr. Lee-Roth,

I'm sorry about the delay. I have just got your messages.
I hope you are doing well in Spain and Pennsylvania. I hope that you are healthy and safe from Covid19.

My client is a technology company based in India. I don't think there is a scam. They are honest. I checked everything about the request. They are bidding for this interpretation project. I'm a Spanish International Interpreter and I was offered to be an interpreter overseas many times. I have 23 years and one month of experience interpreting in The United States and abroad.

In Asia it is hard to find good Spanish simultaneous interpreters. In Nepal it is also hard to find native Spanish speakers.

This is what they told me in the past. I was offered to be an interpreter in several Asian Countries such as India, China, Singapore, Vietnam, Cambodia, The Philippines and Hong Kong in Asia.

Mr. Potter, yes, they are covering all the traveling expenses, hotel, meals, transportation to the airport and the visa fees. They are doing all the arrangements. Please let me know if you know if Americans will need a work visa to work in Nepal during those days.

Thanks again for your help.

Yugoslavia

[Edited at 2023-02-28 08:16 GMT]
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Visa Feb 28, 2023

I'm sure you've been there, but here is their embassy web page with their visa requirements: https://us.nepalembassy.gov.np/tourist-visa/

It looks like they want you to send them your passport through the mail. Yuck.

If you have them all checked out, then great. It sounds like it will be a great gig.

This may or may not be related, but I flew to and with
... See more
I'm sure you've been there, but here is their embassy web page with their visa requirements: https://us.nepalembassy.gov.np/tourist-visa/

It looks like they want you to send them your passport through the mail. Yuck.

If you have them all checked out, then great. It sounds like it will be a great gig.

This may or may not be related, but I flew to and within Indonesia in December-January. They didn't check for any vaccine credentials, despite saying they wanted 2 vaccine shots to enter, and 3 to take domestic flights. Their online app was not working well and you couldn't upload the documentation anyway.
Collapse

Jorge Payan

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 16:31
English to Russian
+ ...
Oh my... Mar 1, 2023

Yugoslavia,

Here is the answer to your question on a first hit:

https://www.globalization-partners.com/globalpedia/nepal-employer-of-record/work-visas/#content

*Nepal
All noncitizens need a visa to work in Nepal legally. The process requires various clearances from government departments, and faili
... See more
Yugoslavia,

Here is the answer to your question on a first hit:

https://www.globalization-partners.com/globalpedia/nepal-employer-of-record/work-visas/#content

*Nepal
All noncitizens need a visa to work in Nepal legally. The process requires various clearances from government departments, and failing to follow through with this process can cause compliance issues later on.* For US citizens going as tourists, the "on arrival" visa is required for a fee.

Have you been "offered", or have you actually worked as an interpreter in all those countries?

When a US company hires you to go abroad, it can take you to any country because they will still report you to the US IRS, and they will take care of all the logistics, if any, should you be going to a country where Americans can't go without visa. Or you just get the "on arrival" visa at the airport. If a country allows Americans to enter without a visa, then you just go, work for, and invoice to the US company, not a Nepali employer. Nobody cares, even when you check "business" as the purpose of your visit at the immigration. They might ask you "what kind" for a small talk.

Other than that, you can't work without permit or work visa anywhere. Are they going to pay you cash under the table? They must report the expense to their tax authorities but on what grounds? No one in the right mind would bother to mess with work visa for 3 days to be used once in a lifetime, and there is no way it'll be ready by mid-March anyway.

In a nutshell, if this offer is not a scam and the hiring entity is registered in the US, then Godspeed and happy interpreting, but the whole thing sounds pretty weird to me from every angle. Maybe they are just fishing while bidding? Was the offer personal? Is it clear that you have been singled out? I receive many interpretation offers via Proz regardless of the requirements, say, different resident countries may be desired but I receive it anyway.
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Liviu-Lee Roth

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the information Mr. Potter. Mar 1, 2023

Hi Mr. Potter,

I'm sorry about the delay. I have just got your message. Thanks for all the information. I got some other suggestions in another website telling me that I need a work visa if I'm coming to work in that conference for only 4 days.

The interpretation assignment was cancelled last night unfortunately. I will email the Nepalese Embassy if they offer me to work in this Asian country again. I called them but I always got the answer machine.

Thanks
... See more
Hi Mr. Potter,

I'm sorry about the delay. I have just got your message. Thanks for all the information. I got some other suggestions in another website telling me that I need a work visa if I'm coming to work in that conference for only 4 days.

The interpretation assignment was cancelled last night unfortunately. I will email the Nepalese Embassy if they offer me to work in this Asian country again. I called them but I always got the answer machine.

Thanks again.

Yugoslavia
Collapse

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the link. Mar 2, 2023

Hi Miss Irina,

Thanks for the link and for the information. I was offered to work as a Spanish interpreter in several countries and I worked in some of those countries that I was offered. I have worked as a Spanish interpreter for more than 23 years.

Anyway,this interpretation project was cancelled. I'm not traveling to Nepal anymore.

Thanks again for your help.

Yugoslavia

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help May 3, 2023

Dear colleagues,
I want to inform you that my interpretation assignment in Nepal was cancelled by the client.

Thanks for everything.

Yugoslavia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish-English Interpretation assignment in Nepal.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »