Thread poster: galypuk
Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:26
English to Polish
+ ...
All I said Mar 10, 2011

was to practise *initially* on something easier than a news item, and slowly move on to a news programme.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:26
Polish to English
+ ...
Take your time Mar 10, 2011

Ania Heasley wrote:
slowly move on to a news programme.

But we've got three weeks, remember?

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
What have you decided? Mar 11, 2011

@Asker: have you decided to take the job on?
If so, how are the preparations going?

galypuk
galypuk
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
simultaneous interpreting Mar 12, 2011

Thank you all who commented on my posting! I appreciate it, even the most sarcastic advice
It probably provided me with more sense of reality. (but don't forget, I am an interpreter, I needed to do it simultaneously too on several occasions as the situation dictated at the time).
Dear Ania H, I am really touched by your help and interest! My assignment has not been confirmed just yet, and my problem is that. it seems,
... See more
Thank you all who commented on my posting! I appreciate it, even the most sarcastic advice
It probably provided me with more sense of reality. (but don't forget, I am an interpreter, I needed to do it simultaneously too on several occasions as the situation dictated at the time).
Dear Ania H, I am really touched by your help and interest! My assignment has not been confirmed just yet, and my problem is that. it seems, there would be 3 subjects discussed , though related..so more work on vocabulary for me. In the meantime I do what you advised me.
Please, dear colleagues, keep your advice coming!
Collapse

sonjaswenson (X)
sonjaswenson (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Turn it down Mar 14, 2011

Being good in consecutive does not mean that sim will be a breeze. When I was in conference interpreting training (a two-year program, which selected about a fourth of the applicants, half of whom were asked to continue into the second year- ie out of 40 applicants we had a graduating class of 3), consec was very easy to me. Far easier than for anyone else. Note taking, memory, reformulation, avoiding calques, all of it was just natural.

Then we got to sim one day early in the s
... See more
Being good in consecutive does not mean that sim will be a breeze. When I was in conference interpreting training (a two-year program, which selected about a fourth of the applicants, half of whom were asked to continue into the second year- ie out of 40 applicants we had a graduating class of 3), consec was very easy to me. Far easier than for anyone else. Note taking, memory, reformulation, avoiding calques, all of it was just natural.

Then we got to sim one day early in the second year of our training. I fell flat on my face and went to being the weakest student, by far. Those who had struggled with consec took to sim like fish to water. It took hours and hours of extra work on my own with a pair of headphones and youtube, on top of about 40 hours of class per week, 20 hours of group practice. The professors even arranged special extra classes because of me. It was a five or six-month battle, until one day in March of my second year, with exams two months away, I just did it. So while consec is definitely the foundation, it doesn't mean you can turn around and jump in a booth sans preparation.
Collapse

galypuk
galypuk
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
sim translation Mar 14, 2011

Thank you Sonja. It's invaluable.

cocolomisure (X)
cocolomisure (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ummmm....no Mar 14, 2011

Maybe not taking the job is the best way to go. Ignore the people saying "This is your chance to learn." That's akin to saying "if you don't operate on this patient with brain cancer, you might miss your chance to become a neurosurgeon!" Go learn how to simultaneously interpret first, and then accept simultaneous interpreting assignments.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

simultaneous interpreting

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »