John Colangelo
John Colangelo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:49
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Nov 30, 2022

As someone who has been out of the translation profession for a while and desiring to come back, I would like to ask your advice on a good simple translation tool for a Mac user like myself. My intuition tells me that Wordfast would be a good option. What's your advice? Thank you.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran Nov 30, 2022

John Colangelo wrote:

As someone who has been out of the translation profession for a while and desiring to come back, I would like to ask your advice on a good simple translation tool for a Mac user like myself. My intuition tells me that Wordfast would be a good option. What's your advice? Thank you.

CafeTran is a good option too. It lets you keep your glossaries in readable and editable form: plain text.

Just install the app, tick Project TM and Project Terms in the Dashboard, select source and target language. Then drop a document to translate on the Dashboard and start translating.

Very good, fast, free and friendly support from enthusiastic Mac users in forums here and at the CafeTran Freshdesk.

A0C909E3-1E31-4D45-9AC3-2AFC3A9BAB03

[Edited at 2022-11-30 19:16 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Tom in London
Wolfgang Schoene

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Cafetran Nov 30, 2022

Cafetran is the best for Mac. Very easy and intuitive to learn.

Wolfgang Schoene

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Quick & Dirty screencast Nov 30, 2022

Hi John,

I just recorded a Quick & Dirty screencast on how to install CafeTran Espresso and use it for your first project: https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/360001-installing_cafetran_on_mac_and_translating_a_first_project.html

Sound quality isn't too good (I'm ducking for the professiona
... See more
Hi John,

I just recorded a Quick & Dirty screencast on how to install CafeTran Espresso and use it for your first project: https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/360001-installing_cafetran_on_mac_and_translating_a_first_project.html

Sound quality isn't too good (I'm ducking for the professional voice talent here who is also a CafeTran Espresso fan ).
Collapse

John Colangelo
John Colangelo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:49
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all... Dec 1, 2022

I just want to thank all of you for your kind and generous responses. I will look into this software. And keep you updated with any observations or questions. Thank you again.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Alas..... Dec 1, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

]

Cafetran doesn't actually make coffee.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
How to make coffee Dec 1, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Cafetran doesn't actually make coffee.

That is correct, Tom.

Here is how you make coffee:

coffee-howto

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First Time User of Cat Tool for Mac

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »