Lamine Boukabour
Lamine Boukabour  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 09:17
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
Jan 23

Dear colleagues,

For procedural purposes, a client has requested that I provide services to them through a company structure rather than as an individual. However, I operate as a freelance translator and do not own a business. Could my ProZ.com account assist me in addressing this matter? If not, is there a way out?

Thank you for your help.

Keith Jackson
Keith Jackson  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:17
Member (2017)
French to English
+ ...
Algerian legal structures... portage salariale Jan 23

According to ProZ, you're based in Algeria. If so these links may help.

https://lentrepreneuralgerien.com/juridique/item/46-quels-sont-les-types-d-entreprises-existants.

You might also explore this company in Paris, which practices "portage salariale" for Algeria:<
... See more
According to ProZ, you're based in Algeria. If so these links may help.

https://lentrepreneuralgerien.com/juridique/item/46-quels-sont-les-types-d-entreprises-existants.

You might also explore this company in Paris, which practices "portage salariale" for Algeria:

https://www.itg.fr/portage-salarial/portage-salarial-international/travailler-a-l-etranger/portage-salarial-algerie

Good luck!
Collapse

Daryo

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Why? Jan 23

I can't see why it should be necessary. Not being a company doesn't mean that you are not a business. It is a silly request.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Zea_Mays
philgoddard

Quentin NEVEN
Quentin NEVEN  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (Jan 2024)
English to French
+ ...
Weird... Jan 23

Hi,

This is a weird request, indeed...

What they explained to you why they need this ?

Zea_Mays
philgoddard

Lamine Boukabour
Algeria
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Keith Jan 24

Thanks a lot for the insights. Based on your information, if I proceed with 'portage salarial,' do you think a translation diploma is required?

Lamine Boukabour
Algeria
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Christopher & Quentin Jan 24

The client, represented by a company, inquired about the existence of a company on my end, expressing a preference for engaging with a corporate entity rather than an individual. Unfortunately, I am not aware of the specific reason behind this preference.

Christopher Schröder

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
As a freelancer you have business status Jan 24

if you are registered as such (for EU countries for example with a vat number).

Robert Rietvelt

Lamine Boukabour
Algeria
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Zea Jan 24

Thank you for the information. I'd like to clarify that I am based in Algeria, and I provide my services globally from my home without the need for affiliation. For clients who request a VAT number, I simply provide my ID number without any issues. I understand that the requirements may differ in EU countries.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
@Lamine Jan 24

Lamine Boukabour wrote:

Thank you for the information. I'd like to clarify that I am based in Algeria, and I provide my services globally from my home without the need for affiliation. For clients who request a VAT number, I simply provide my ID number without any issues. I understand that the requirements may differ in EU countries.

Do you have a freelance registration number or something similar? Or can you register as such? I think this would be enough for counting as a business instead of a private person.

Robert Rietvelt

Lamine Boukabour
Algeria
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Zea Jan 24

Currently, I do not have a freelance registration number or a similar credential. I believe obtaining a translation degree is required for such registration, but unfortunately, I do not possess one. I will explore if obtaining a certification from a highly recognized entity would address this matter.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Guesswork Jan 24

Lamine Boukabour wrote:

The client, ...expressing a preference for engaging with a corporate entity rather than an individual. Unfortunately, I am not aware of the specific reason ....

Probably worth trying to find out why, and then decide the solution.
It might simply be (as has been implied/suggested) that they just want reassurance you are definitely operating as a bona fide business.
But it might be more complicated than that (e.g. they could be seeking to ensure there is absolutely no possibility that you could be deemed their employee if the business relationship runs for a length of time).
There's no point trying to guess and serving up a solution that doesn't solve their problem. Find out what they want to achieve, and then work out how you can achieve it

Jennifer Levey
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Kay Denney
Zea_Mays

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jan 25

They might think a self-employed person is more of a risk, if something happens there's nobody to jump in and deal with the situation. In which case setting up a company in which you are the sole shareholder/employee/whatever won't actually help in any way.
I know that my freelance status here prevents me from taking on interns or employees or even outsourcing work, so maybe they would like to give you tons of work and have you outsource it or hire employees as you see fit?
But as
... See more
They might think a self-employed person is more of a risk, if something happens there's nobody to jump in and deal with the situation. In which case setting up a company in which you are the sole shareholder/employee/whatever won't actually help in any way.
I know that my freelance status here prevents me from taking on interns or employees or even outsourcing work, so maybe they would like to give you tons of work and have you outsource it or hire employees as you see fit?
But as Charlie says, you need to find out exactly why they want to deal with a company before actually setting one up. The time it takes, they might have found someone else anyway!
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Kevin Fulton

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Kay Jan 25

Portugal has a (well-deserved) reputation for being very bureaucratic and slow, and yet establishing my company in Portugal, receiving the EU VAT number and opening a bank account took me 4 days in 2015...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transitioning from Individual to Company Services

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »