Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Are any other translators having a quiet period workwise?
Thread poster: Rose Webb
Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:50
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
recession Oct 24, 2023

Some may remember this poll discussion:

"Are you prepared for the current recession?"
https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/363862-poll_are_you_prepared_for_the_current_recession.html?phpv_redirected=1

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

JOHN WINDER
JOHN WINDER  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:50
German to English
+ ...
THANK YOU FOR RAISING THE ISSUE - YOU ARE NOT ALONE Oct 24, 2023

It was very interesting to read comments from fellow translators about this issue. Like many of you, I have experienced a considerable slowdown since April. Some customers have used my services contentedly since 2006 but they have hardly contacted me in recent months. Decent translators should be prepared to doubt themselves a little I think, but having seldom received negative feedback, having made every effort to deliver jobs on time, and having built up long-standing working relationships wit... See more
It was very interesting to read comments from fellow translators about this issue. Like many of you, I have experienced a considerable slowdown since April. Some customers have used my services contentedly since 2006 but they have hardly contacted me in recent months. Decent translators should be prepared to doubt themselves a little I think, but having seldom received negative feedback, having made every effort to deliver jobs on time, and having built up long-standing working relationships with a number of good clients, I was starting to wonder whether other factors were at play.

As a UK based translator, I suspected that Brexit might have played a significant role here. It may well have done but it is clear that other trends are influencing workflows for freelancers in a number of different locations. I am now semi-retired with no mortgage and a small pension from an earlier career (my profile photo has not been updated for some considerable time!) so my position is a more fortunate one than some. While I still pick up bits of work to top up this pension, I am starting to wonder whether it might be better to get a part-time job for a couple of days a week and enjoy the days off without worrying whether the phone is going to ring or whether emails with concrete offers of work are going to arrive.

I also have a feeling that less jobs are being advertised through Proz.com, certainly for my language combinations (German-English and Dutch-English). While I would seldom apply for such jobs in any case, I think I have sensed a slowdown on this site. There also seem to be fewer Kudoz questions being asked in these combinations, possibly suggesting that less translation activity is taking place. This final paragraph is purely speculative but it would be interesting to find out whether other contributors are thinking on the same lines.

While it is far from heartening to note that many other freelancers have also suffered a major slowdown in their workflows, it is at least somewhat comforting to know that bigger factors are probably at play and that we have not suddenly and imperceptibly fallen out with a number of clients. Thanks very much to Rose for bringing the matter to our attention. Hopefully we can weather the storm together.

Best wishes to all. Supera moras!
Collapse

Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio
Dan Lucas
Tom in London
texjax DDS PhD
Cecília Alves

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Brexit Oct 24, 2023

JOHN WINDER wrote:

.... Brexit might have played a significant role here.

Whilst I agree that Brexit is only one factor, it has been significant for anyone working from the UK on behalf of EU-based clients, because the banks have taken advantage to massively increase their charges for handling payments from the EU to the UK. I've partly got round this by asking my clients in the EU to pay me through Wise. But some of my clients don't seem to mind the additional bank transfer charges, and haven't mentioned them.

JOHN WINDER
JOHN WINDER  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT Oct 24, 2023

Thanks, Tom. It is interesting to hear an assessment of the impact Brexit has had upon potential business for UK based freelancers. I can imagine that paying relatively small sums to translators based in the UK may be prohibitive for some agencies. Perhaps it is less of an issue when payments are larger as a much smaller percentage should be lost in commission. It sounds like you have found a way to work around it where necessary. Anything we can do to make the process as seamless as possible se... See more
Thanks, Tom. It is interesting to hear an assessment of the impact Brexit has had upon potential business for UK based freelancers. I can imagine that paying relatively small sums to translators based in the UK may be prohibitive for some agencies. Perhaps it is less of an issue when payments are larger as a much smaller percentage should be lost in commission. It sounds like you have found a way to work around it where necessary. Anything we can do to make the process as seamless as possible seems to be essential at present. Personally the impact seems to have been greater since 2021 and the "official" leaving of the EU.

As you say, this is but one factor in a general slowdown in work, albeit a significant one. People have voiced a number of interesting theories concerning AI, a recession in Europe and the global political situation as explanations for the downturn some are experiencing. Quite often the reality is a combination of different contributory factors. Hopefully the workflows will speed up for anyone twiddling their thumbs at present. All we can do is be proactive and try to remain positive. In my own case this may involve updating the ancient Proz profile and deceptively youthful photo to start with. It can be hard to attend to such things during busy periods so maybe now is the time.

I am certain that everyone who has contributed to the thread will have their own approach in times such as these. Best wishes to everyone and hope you manage to embrace and enjoy any extra free time you have. We often complain about being too busy after all!
Collapse

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:50
English to Turkish
Like it or not, luck plays a major role Oct 24, 2023

I had a dry spell from about mid August to earlier this month. There were days when I didn't receive any emails at all. It got to the point where I started to fear that I somehow fell out of favour with two of my regular clients (I have about 3 or 4 in total btw) that would send me jobs on a more or less weekly basis (mostly small jobs about 500 to 1000 words). In that period I also received a disturbing email from another regular client, informing me that they would no longer be needing Turkish... See more
I had a dry spell from about mid August to earlier this month. There were days when I didn't receive any emails at all. It got to the point where I started to fear that I somehow fell out of favour with two of my regular clients (I have about 3 or 4 in total btw) that would send me jobs on a more or less weekly basis (mostly small jobs about 500 to 1000 words). In that period I also received a disturbing email from another regular client, informing me that they would no longer be needing Turkish translation for their big annual project and asking me if I had any PMTE experience and if so what my rates were.
Anyways, while finishing up a bottle of wine one Friday night, I received an email from an individual who told me she'd found me through a certain translators directory and asked my availability for a 25k job to be completed in 7 days. I checked her out the next day when I sobered up and decided that she wasn't a scammer, but the owner of a little known 'boutique agency' that didn't have any BB entries (in fact it wasn't listed here at all). So my gut told me there was profit to be made (I could've asked for 12 or 13 cents easy, and that's very good money for my pair, but might be small beer for Dutch, Jap>En translators of course), but my brain told me I could never deliver 25k words in 7 days. Unfortunately I'm a slow translator. I asked around, but couldn't find anyone to outsource it. So with a heavy heart, I declined her offer and consumed more alcohol for the remainder of the weekend (you gotta take your pleasures where you can).
Things perked up on the following Monday afternoon and I got a largish job from a regular (which was followed by more jobs from the same client with increasing volumes) and got lucky with two other clients as well. So as of now I've been working like non-stop for more than 2 weeks and have made a tidy sum. Needless to say that if I'd taken on that 25k word job I'd have been well and truly f*cked. I might have delivered it at the expense of my health and mental well-being (not that I have any) and made good money and secured a new client, but would've had to decline 3 of my regulars and risked having others take my place in the pecking order, if you know what I mean? And this is the rotten thing about this bleeding job: you have to maintain your position as the "go-to translator" with your regular agencies. If you turn them down once too often for whatever reason you're easily replaceable by others (and boy, isn't there an unlimited supply of them).
So this is one instance where luck plays a major role, and I've seen various variations of this pattern over the years.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Cecília Alves
Metin Demirel
Lieven Malaise
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Yes Oct 24, 2023

Been like it all year, really, if not a little longer.
I know of several Fr-Eng translators with 20 years of experience who have jacked it in this year (and last), because the work simply isn't there in sufficient volume.
Another I know has lost a £10k/year client who explicitly told him they were switching to AI to do his work.
One (fairly large) agency I work with uses sequential project numbering and I can therefore tell that they are not getting the volume of projects t
... See more
Been like it all year, really, if not a little longer.
I know of several Fr-Eng translators with 20 years of experience who have jacked it in this year (and last), because the work simply isn't there in sufficient volume.
Another I know has lost a £10k/year client who explicitly told him they were switching to AI to do his work.
One (fairly large) agency I work with uses sequential project numbering and I can therefore tell that they are not getting the volume of projects they used to (so neither am I !).
I have returned to this website after a few years of absence, and I'm sure there is nothing like the number of Fr-Eng kudoz Qs being asked (obviously there might be many reasons for this but less work being done could be part of it).
I've also noticed an upturn in the number of people posting (on LinkedIn especially) about the "benefits" of slack periods. Which they wouldn't do if they were rushed off their feet

Anyway, confimation bias blah, anecdotes are not data blah double blah but yeah.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Grace Anderson
Marina Aleyeva
Michele Fauble
writeaway
Kirk Jackson

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
your time Oct 24, 2023

Charlie Bavington wrote:

(...) I've also noticed an upturn in the number of people posting (on LinkedIn especially) about the "benefits" of slack periods. Which they wouldn't do if they were rushed off their feet

It's actually the best time to do what you've been putting off for a long time...
building/updating a website, profile or similar, learning new skills/finding new earning opportunities,
learning how to invest, decluttering your home, meeting nice people...

How are you using this time?

Cecília Alves
Anna Massera
mariant
expressisverbis
Sofia Gutkin

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Oct 24, 2023

Charlie Bavington wrote:
Anyway, confimation bias blah, anecdotes are not data blah double blah but yeah.

I fully agree, but I would like to add "luck blah, bad luck double blah".

I understand that everybody wants to know how things are going on a more global level, but the personal situation of 10 or even 20 translators on these forums is worth less than nothing.

Metin Demirel
Jorge Payan
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
As I was saying.... Oct 24, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

And frankly translators using MT/AI "as a tool" are probably not helping us dinosaurs.

AI is a factor. But a long way from the mastery of technological destiny that many seem convinced is where everything is going.

P.L.F. Persio
Chris Spurgin
Angie Garbarino

Cecília Alves
Cecília Alves  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:50
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mostly important Oct 25, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

(...) I've also noticed an upturn in the number of people posting (on LinkedIn especially) about the "benefits" of slack periods. Which they wouldn't do if they were rushed off their feet

It's actually the best time to do what you've been putting off for a long time...
building/updating a website, profile or similar, learning new skills/finding new earning opportunities,
learning how to invest, decluttering your home, meeting nice people...

How are you using this time?

Mostly, minding more my physical and mental health.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 12:50
English to Romanian
This Oct 25, 2023

People would rather use MT than actual people. As long as the meaning gets through.
Or appoint an internal employee to do the job.
Or simply adhere to the "it's just as fine" principle and employ their own (lack of) skills when translating.

An example which hurt my eyes and more: an entertainment company organizing a dance competition and aiming to attract international competitors. Their posters are terribly sloppy. They even wrote "judegs" instead of "judges".

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Long time Oct 25, 2023

I started my translator career thirty years ago (thirty three) and this year represents now a trouble, rather than a challenge.
I do not remember a year like this in terms of crisis, in many sectors.

Since May work has been very little, some months were totally blank and I fixed the end of this year as a maximum limit to bear the situation. But let's see.

I tried to get in touch with some business groups formed by different freelances, not only translators, so to
... See more
I started my translator career thirty years ago (thirty three) and this year represents now a trouble, rather than a challenge.
I do not remember a year like this in terms of crisis, in many sectors.

Since May work has been very little, some months were totally blank and I fixed the end of this year as a maximum limit to bear the situation. But let's see.

I tried to get in touch with some business groups formed by different freelances, not only translators, so to figure out if it is worth to join such organizations. But this means spending money and results, if any, would come in minimum one year.

I agree with you when you talk about a greater business and economy problem standing at the base.

In fact, I also get in touch with a trainer here in Proz after attending a webinar two months ago.
She asked us to explain our workloads, worries if any, etc. and she thought it is really strange not to get work in my case.
After briefly explaining my situation she said something important, that reflects what many of you stated:
there are major structural changes going on in the world and maybe that is impacting the way certain businesses invest resources.

Two months have passed since this discussion and the global economic and political situation has changed a lot, putting new issues.

Ad majora and best wishes to all of you.

[Modificato alle 2023-10-25 07:47 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Zea_Mays
Charlie Bavington
Angie Garbarino
Tony Keily
texjax DDS PhD

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Tom Oct 25, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

In my opinion, AI is a red herring in all of this. It plays a role, but not a very important one. Because AI is The Big New Thing, everybody thinks everything that happens is being caused by it. This is causing the other things that influence economic activity to be underestimated.

[Edited at 2023-10-24 08:14 GMT]

You make me think of the social self-fulfilling prophecies by Watzlavick, among others.

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
French to English
One example Oct 25, 2023

This year, I have personally experienced a concrete example of MT taking over the regular work I was doing for a much-valued direct client. The client explained that they would now be using this option because it was cheaper.

I suspect that those of us in common language pairs, and who are not able to offer highly specialized services, will have to find a new career. I do think there will continue to be work for very specialized translators and for certified translators, but genera
... See more
This year, I have personally experienced a concrete example of MT taking over the regular work I was doing for a much-valued direct client. The client explained that they would now be using this option because it was cheaper.

I suspect that those of us in common language pairs, and who are not able to offer highly specialized services, will have to find a new career. I do think there will continue to be work for very specialized translators and for certified translators, but generalists are history in my opinion.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
writeaway
Susanna Martoni
Michele Fauble
Christopher Schröder
Charlie Bavington
Dan Lucas

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
"It's the economy, stupid!" Oct 26, 2023

From an article yesterday in a Flemish financial paper (machine-translated into English):

"A wave of bad economic news is rolling over the Flemish economy. Bankruptcies are breaking records, tech companies are shedding more jobs than they are adding, growth is stalling and European manufacturing and service companies are shrinking."

However, crises don't necessarily affect translators. E.g., I wasn't affected by the 2008 financial crisis or the covid crisis (and so far
... See more
From an article yesterday in a Flemish financial paper (machine-translated into English):

"A wave of bad economic news is rolling over the Flemish economy. Bankruptcies are breaking records, tech companies are shedding more jobs than they are adding, growth is stalling and European manufacturing and service companies are shrinking."

However, crises don't necessarily affect translators. E.g., I wasn't affected by the 2008 financial crisis or the covid crisis (and so far I've had a very decent year). There might have been some or a lot of luck involved, so fingers crossed for this new challenge ahead.
Collapse

Chris Spurgin
Dan Lucas
expressisverbis
Tony Keily

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are any other translators having a quiet period workwise?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »