David GAY
David GAY
Local time: 08:21
English to French
+ ...
politicians Jun 5, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:

David GAY wrote:
politicians nowadays act under the pressure of certain lobbys. They maximize their utility by taking decisions which serve the interests of these lobbys.

I don't see how this explains your earlier statement implying that a preference for giving greater weight to the person actually engaged in an endeavour (rather than to those who criticize from the sidelines) is a hallmark of politicians.

If that were the case, then logically politicians would always support those engaged in action, even if that action went against their own interests. Yet above you say they act to maximize their utility.

Well, whatever.

Dan

Politicians strive to be reelected. To achieve this goal, they need to gather a lot of money from sponsors, which are in fact lobbys.
I don t think it s the case for translators but who knows...,

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:21
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Very small decline in GDP forecast for 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:
I very much hope that I am wrong, that GDP does not decline and that Germany and other countries get through the next 12 months with minimal hardship.

I have set a reminder to look at this thread in 6 months.

12 months later... The consensus forecast seems to be that Germany's GDP will fall 0.3% year on year. With the first three quarters already reported and only six weeks to go before the end of the year, it is unlikely to be materially different.

As you can see from the chart below, the year-on-year change in quarterly GDP for Germany is fluctuating around the zero line, but is likely to end up every so slightly below in cumulative terms.

quarterly german gdp

I am quite relieved. All in all, it could have been a lot worse given the very challenging circumstances. Hopefully the country (and the many others that have had a tough year, the UK included) gets a decent rebound in 2024.

Regards,
Dan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Market for German-English legal translations

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »