Olga Buongiorno  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:34
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 18, 2018

Salve a tutti,

recentemente ho acquistato Office 2016 e scaricato l'ultima versione di Wordfast per il quale ho la licenza.

Finora non ho avuto problemi a tradurre con i file Word. Oggi che avevo un progetto in Excel mi si è verificato il problema seguente:

Apro il file Excel, poi quello Word e quando faccio clic sul pulsante sulla barra di
Wordfast per avviare la traduzione in Word il file Word non riesce a leggere il testo in Excel.

Qu
... See more
Salve a tutti,

recentemente ho acquistato Office 2016 e scaricato l'ultima versione di Wordfast per il quale ho la licenza.

Finora non ho avuto problemi a tradurre con i file Word. Oggi che avevo un progetto in Excel mi si è verificato il problema seguente:

Apro il file Excel, poi quello Word e quando faccio clic sul pulsante sulla barra di
Wordfast per avviare la traduzione in Word il file Word non riesce a leggere il testo in Excel.

Qualcuno può cortesemente darmi una mano a risolvere questo problema?

Grazie mille

Olga
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Version de Windows/MS Office Jun 18, 2018

Unfortunately, Wordfast Classic is only compatible with Excel up to Windows 10 /MS Office 2010. Later versions of MS Office/Excel are incompatible with WF Classic.
I keep one PC with MS Office 2010 installed especially for Excel and WFC translations. If you uninstall your current version of Office and install the 2010 version, WFC should work with your Excel files again.

PS. Excuse me for responding in English, but Italian isn't one of my working languages.

[Edited at 2
... See more
Unfortunately, Wordfast Classic is only compatible with Excel up to Windows 10 /MS Office 2010. Later versions of MS Office/Excel are incompatible with WF Classic.
I keep one PC with MS Office 2010 installed especially for Excel and WFC translations. If you uninstall your current version of Office and install the 2010 version, WFC should work with your Excel files again.

PS. Excuse me for responding in English, but Italian isn't one of my working languages.

[Edited at 2018-06-18 15:53 GMT]

https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/294563-word_2016_wordfast_classic_pc.html

[Edited at 2018-06-18 15:56 GMT]
Collapse

Terry Richards

Olga Buongiorno
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any plug-in available? Jun 18, 2018

Dear Neilmac,

Thank you so much for your response.
You are confirming what I was thinking as WC does work with Word files but it
doesn't with Excel ones and I guess, at this point, nor with Power Point files.
In the meantime I forwarded a ticket to Wordfast support, maybe they might have
a kind of plug-in to sort this out.
In case they reply me providing a solution I will post it here as well, so you might take advantege from it.

Thank you
... See more
Dear Neilmac,

In case they reply me providing a solution I will post it here as well, so you might take advantege from it.

Thank you again:-)

Best,
Olga
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No PowerPoint either Jun 19, 2018

Olga Buongiorno wrote:

Dear Neilmac,

Thank you again:-)

Best,
Olga

Yes, it won't do PowerPoint files either. The problem is the MS Office software, not Wordfast. I don't think there is any solution except uninstalling Office and reinstalling an earlier version. I find Office 2010 does absolutely everything I need it too. The only "improvements" in more recent versions seem to be the option of more intricate templates, which I really don't need.

Olga Buongiorno
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WF support team reply Jun 19, 2018

Dear neilmac,

You are perfectly right, the problem is Office 2016. I just received the following email from WF support team:

"Unfortunately, Microsoft removed the link between MS Word and Excel/PowerPoint that Wordfast Classic needs in order to let you translate Excel or PowerPoint the way you mentioned. The old method works, I believe, in Word 2010, not any newer.
To translate Excel or PPT documents, we recommend Wordfast Pro or Wordfast Anywhere, accessible at <
... See more
Dear neilmac,

You are perfectly right, the problem is Office 2016. I just received the following email from WF support team:

"Unfortunately, Microsoft removed the link between MS Word and Excel/PowerPoint that Wordfast Classic needs in order to let you translate Excel or PowerPoint the way you mentioned. The old method works, I believe, in Word 2010, not any newer.
To translate Excel or PPT documents, we recommend Wordfast Pro or Wordfast Anywhere, accessible at https://www.freetm.com/"

Hope this could be of further help.

Thank you so much and enjoy the day ahead:-)
Collapse

kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 06:34
English to Russian
Virtualisation is the solution Jul 24, 2018

neilmac wrote:

You might wish to read about Hyper-V, VmWare Player, VirtualPC, etc., and follow this path.
There are free or affordable solutions which allow you to run an OS within an OS. With all the old apps, of course.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
others Jul 24, 2018

Not only

(1) other VM (virtual machine; e.g. free VirtualBox or free* VirtualPC), but also

(2) other Office (e.g. free LibreOffice with a free Anaphraseus... See more
Not only

(1) other VM (virtual machine; e.g. free VirtualBox or free* VirtualPC), but also

(2) other Office (e.g. free LibreOffice with a free Anaphraseus CAT), and

(3) other CAT tools (e.g. free OmegaT or--if not strictly NDA-related--free online WordFast Anywhere at FreeTM.com), not to mention cost options like WordFast Pro, Trados, Deja Vu, MemoQ et al.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Virtual solutions, nein danke Jul 25, 2018

I tried one of those "OS within and OS" solutions and it worked... but r-e-a-l-l-y slowly... Too slowly for me to work with comfortably.

No worries. I'm quite happy to keep on using MS Office 2010 for as long as possible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic: Impossibile tradurre documento Excel

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »