Thread poster: vitalli
vitalli
vitalli
Türkiye
Turkish to English
+ ...
Sep 24, 2017

Hi!

I'm currently studying Translation BA in Turkey and would like to do a Master's in the UK. I'm interested in Audiovisual Translation and Localisation. I realised that other topics about this subject is quite old, so I would like to ask your opinion on British Translation Master's courses; which courses do you recommend?

The Master's course doesn't really have to cover my interests, though. I'm open to any suggestions.

My native language is Turkish, so I
... See more
Hi!

I'm currently studying Translation BA in Turkey and would like to do a Master's in the UK. I'm interested in Audiovisual Translation and Localisation. I realised that other topics about this subject is quite old, so I would like to ask your opinion on British Translation Master's courses; which courses do you recommend?

The Master's course doesn't really have to cover my interests, though. I'm open to any suggestions.

My native language is Turkish, so I have a list of universities that offer Turkish language:

- The University of Edinburgh
- UCL
- University of Surrey
- The University of Manchester
- City University of London
- Queen's University Belfast
- Cardiff University
- University of East Anglia

Thanks!
Collapse

Joe France
Joe France  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:59
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
Courses differ more than you might imagine Sep 25, 2017

Hi Vitalli,

I can't comment too deeply on the courses you've named, but I would advise you to look in much more detail at the syllabi on offer - whether or not they offer audiovisual translation.

For example, I did my MEL undergrad at the Uni of Edinburgh, and considered doing by postgrad degree there as well. However, I opted for Heriot Watt Uni (also in Edinburgh) instead, as the course at Edinburgh Uni seemed quite abstract - like much of Edinburgh Uni, the emphasis
... See more
Hi Vitalli,

I can't comment too deeply on the courses you've named, but I would advise you to look in much more detail at the syllabi on offer - whether or not they offer audiovisual translation.

For example, I did my MEL undergrad at the Uni of Edinburgh, and considered doing by postgrad degree there as well. However, I opted for Heriot Watt Uni (also in Edinburgh) instead, as the course at Edinburgh Uni seemed quite abstract - like much of Edinburgh Uni, the emphasis appeared to be on the abstract and on theory rather than on preparing you to become a translator. By comparison, the Heriot Watt course was much more practice-based, but even then falls behind other courses that colleagues and friends have done at universities like Leeds or even UCLAN that were geared at teaching students how translation works in the real world as well as theoretical matters.

It depends what kind of course you're after. If you want to study theory and potentially move into academia, then some courses are more suitable than others. By the same token, other courses are more focused on preparing their students for the world of work and have close industry links.

I know this doesn't answer your question - but I was surprised by quite how greatly the focus differs between courses/unis. I suppose it depends on the outlook of the course or university, and whether they see their role as conveying set knowledge and theory or rigorously preparing graduates for the world of work. I'd make sure you consider this issue and ask any current students/staff some direct questions about the practical/theoretical focus of their course. Good luck!
Collapse

Cathlondon

vitalli
vitalli
Türkiye
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the answer Sep 25, 2017

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your post. I appreciate your answer. My current course is vastly practice based. It's my 3rd year at the uni so far.

Although I do consider moving to academia, I'm better at translation practice and it suits me, so would prefer studying something practical.

[Edited at 2017-09-26 15:29 GMT]

Cathlondon

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Translation Master's in the UK

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »