Trados Studio 2014 causing headaches when toggling between two language pairs
Thread poster: RhondaSherwood
Jan 31, 2018

Hi - I've run into what seems to be a problem.

Until recently, I've been mostly translating from French to English. My translation memory and termbases are French Canada to English Canada.

More recently, I've been doing more and more translation from English Canada to French Canada. However, when I do that, I can't seem to get my termbase to work. When I try to add a term to my termbase in Studio, I get the message: "Multiterm is unable to add the entry" and Studio cras
... See more
Hi - I've run into what seems to be a problem.

Until recently, I've been mostly translating from French to English. My translation memory and termbases are French Canada to English Canada.

More recently, I've been doing more and more translation from English Canada to French Canada. However, when I do that, I can't seem to get my termbase to work. When I try to add a term to my termbase in Studio, I get the message: "Multiterm is unable to add the entry" and Studio crashes.

Is there a tutorial or set of instructions for how to use my TM and termbase when the source and target languages are inverted?

In other words, can I use the same TM and termbase when English is the source language and French is the target language, as well as when English is the target language and French is the source language?

The more I need to switch my source and target language between French and English, the worse Studio seems to be working.

Rhonda
Collapse

Frances Nichol
Frances Nichol  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
You can invert the languages for a TM Feb 14, 2018

As I understand it, you can save the TM as a TMX and open in notepad/text editor, search for enCA (or the relevant language identifiers), and then manually switch them from enCA to frCA/vice versa and re-save. Now you can open for the inverted language pair and re-convert to the native format. Not so sure about the termbase but maybe you can follow a similar process.

The only problem is, you can't maintain the TM in conjunction. You're splitting the TM and can't update them at the s
... See more
As I understand it, you can save the TM as a TMX and open in notepad/text editor, search for enCA (or the relevant language identifiers), and then manually switch them from enCA to frCA/vice versa and re-save. Now you can open for the inverted language pair and re-convert to the native format. Not so sure about the termbase but maybe you can follow a similar process.

The only problem is, you can't maintain the TM in conjunction. You're splitting the TM and can't update them at the same time.

[Edited at 2018-02-14 21:15 GMT]
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:02
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
AnyTM Feb 15, 2018

If you add your TM as AnyTM, Studio will automatically reverse the language direction for you.

https://docs.sdl.com/LiveContent/content/ru-RU/SDL%20Trados%20Studio%20Help-v4/GUID-D0DD9F8B-D7D5-48E2-86DC-464C9DC165BC

RhondaSherwood
RhondaSherwood
Canada
TOPIC STARTER
Will give it a try! Feb 15, 2018

Thanks Nora - I haven't had time to look at AnyTM in detail, but at first glance it seems to be exactly what I am looking for!

Rhonda

RhondaSherwood
RhondaSherwood
Canada
TOPIC STARTER
Is AnyTM available in Trados Studio 2014? Feb 22, 2018

Is AnyTM available in Trados Studio 2014?

I would get a lot of use from this feature, I think, but can't seem to find anything online for the 2014 version.

Thanks,
Rhonda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2014 causing headaches when toggling between two language pairs

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »