Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lol Nov 17, 2020

Zibow Retailleau wrote:
That's what I say when someone laments the fact that they will never have children or keeps badgering me to have some.

I couldn’t possibly agree in public... but now we’re getting down to the things that really matter, what about iPhones?

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Felipe Lacerda

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:19
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Parenthood II Nov 17, 2020

Zibow Retailleau wrote:

That's what I say when someone laments the fact that they will never have children or keeps badgering me to have some.

I love being a mother, but I get your point. I don't understand why some people can't just accept that not everyone wants to be a parent.

I'm with you, Zibow, you're not a baby-machine!

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 18:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
iPhones Nov 17, 2020

To quote a catchphrase from Chinese social media, 'When you are the only one present who is not using an iPhone, you are the winner.'

I won every time.

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Christel Zipfel

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 14:19
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I can't answer... coffee? Nov 17, 2020

Felipe Lacerda wrote:

Coffee, the Beatles and true love - sometimes I wonder what's the most overrated thing in life.

I’ve bean thinking a latte, but I can't find a good answer!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Felipe Lacerda
Christopher Schröder

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Most overrated thing? Got it, got it Nov 17, 2020

No, it's not Felipe's delts, as tentatively plugged not long ago on this very site. Although I'm sure they're extremely rateable delts, but it's worthwhile considering Felipe's excellent query here. Good one, Felipe! This one will probably go on for miles and miles before we sleep.

In my opinion, it has to be the kings and queens and the inbetweens of overrating, overrating taken to the nth level of overratingness:

Influencers, that's who my money is on. Even the name
... See more
No, it's not Felipe's delts, as tentatively plugged not long ago on this very site. Although I'm sure they're extremely rateable delts, but it's worthwhile considering Felipe's excellent query here. Good one, Felipe! This one will probably go on for miles and miles before we sleep.

In my opinion, it has to be the kings and queens and the inbetweens of overrating, overrating taken to the nth level of overratingness:

Influencers, that's who my money is on. Even the name annoys me. It's pure jealousy, I admit. But when I hear the Spanish saying "eeeeenfluensers", by God, does it get my fingers tapping on my Glock. For target practice only, you understand. From the balcony, when a VW Golf stops at the traffic lights with all the windows open and Despacito at full volume. A bloody influencer influencing his influence in his influencemobile.

It's also because it was in the news here, because yesterday somewhere (Madrid?) the poliss walked in on a load of eeeeenfluensers, who'd even had the effrontery to eeeeenfluens so much that they eeeeenfluensed carloads of WhatsApping eeeeenfluenserees to meet up for an eeeeenfluenser "jjjjjapeneeng" at some eeeeenfluenser venue for some high-profile in-your-face eeeeenfluensing washed down with droooogs and booze. I know this should be on the Corona thread, but I couldn't be arsed.

You know what it's been like lately mediawise, with all kinds of experts - medicologists, pharmacologists, epidemiologists, Covidologists, bullcrapologists, researchologists all talking with their bookcases in the background - but later on at night, on the chat shows, the eeeeenfluensers slink in. And up comes the title below their name, Influencer. "Get a job! Sit on this and influence it," I occasionally snarl at the screen, giving them the finger.

Just saying ...

[Edited at 2020-11-17 18:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-17 18:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-17 18:40 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Rachel Fell
Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Probably... Nov 17, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Influencers, that's who my money is on. Even the name annoys me.

[Edited at 2020-11-17 18:02 GMT]

...the most fatuous job title (and function) ever!

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Self-deleted as inappropriate Nov 17, 2020

Let's just say that, in relation to influencers, discussed above, I had paraphrased Dick Butcher in Shakespeare's Henry VI Part II, in relation to another profession (although, where influencers are concerned, I use the term "profession" more than lightly), but I think now that it constitutes incitement, so if you missed the original post you can look up Dick Butcher and see what he said if you like, but in the end I shouldn't be saying that kind of thing here.

[Edited at 2020-11-18 06:3
... See more
Let's just say that, in relation to influencers, discussed above, I had paraphrased Dick Butcher in Shakespeare's Henry VI Part II, in relation to another profession (although, where influencers are concerned, I use the term "profession" more than lightly), but I think now that it constitutes incitement, so if you missed the original post you can look up Dick Butcher and see what he said if you like, but in the end I shouldn't be saying that kind of thing here.

[Edited at 2020-11-18 06:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-18 06:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-18 07:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-18 12:07 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
An overrated greeting? Nov 19, 2020

This morning I received an email for a potential translation project, with the following words:
"Hi! Our beloved Portuguese EU linguists!"
I can't tell if I felt alive or dead when I read this.
If I didn't know the agency and had already worked with them, I would be on their guard.
But... the only free cheese is in the mouse trap.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Those Portuguese EU linguists Nov 19, 2020

I didn't know there were any non-EU Portuguese linguists. Ah! they must mean the other Portugal, the one that's outside the EU. THAT Portugal - I get it now.

And "beloved"! I love it!!

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Here's a funny and real story: Nov 19, 2020

The "ones" not the "one"

“European Portuguese” is also referred to as Continental Portuguese, Lusitanian Portuguese and Portuguese of Portugal (I prefer to use the latter).
As for Brazilian Portuguese, the differences are so great that even PT-BR natives can have a hard time understanding PT-PT when spoken quickly, and even the vocabulary is completely different.

Here's a funny story:
A Br
... See more
The "ones" not the "one"

“European Portuguese” is also referred to as Continental Portuguese, Lusitanian Portuguese and Portuguese of Portugal (I prefer to use the latter).
As for Brazilian Portuguese, the differences are so great that even PT-BR natives can have a hard time understanding PT-PT when spoken quickly, and even the vocabulary is completely different.

Here's a funny story:
A Brazilian comes in a Portuguese tobacco shop, and asks:
Good morning, ma'am. Do you sell "durex"?
The lady very embarrassed and blushing answered:
No, we don't sell those things here! You can only find it in a pharmacy.
In a pharmacy? But I just want it “to stick things together”.
The Portuguese lady, incredibly surprised, asks:
My lord! What things do you want "to stick together", mister?!
The Brazilian man then explained clearly what he wanted, and in the end, they gave a loud laugh together.
It turns out that "durex" is a brand of condoms and in PT-PT it only has that meaning, while in PT-BR, it is the brand of "sellotape", generally used for joining or sealing.
Brazilians don't know the PT-PT term "fita-cola" (sellotape), and Portuguese connect the Brazilian word "durex" to condoms only.
This story was real.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Lost in translation Nov 19, 2020

Good one, Exy! And a real story, too. But if you think about it, both of them are used for joining and/or sealing.

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That's true! Nov 19, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Good one, Exy! And a real story, too. But if you think about it, both of them are used for joining and/or sealing.

Good one too, Mervyn!
You're right, always

Christopher Schröder

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Preservatives Nov 19, 2020

Sandra's story reminds me of another true story. An English woman living in Denmark (married to a friend of mine) went to a cooking class. At some stage, they talked about jam, or whatever, and she said something about preservatives – which is, quite obviously, completely normal for a Brit talking about cooking jam.

The only trouble was that the word ("præservativ" in DA) has a completely different meaning in Danish, i.e. condom. After some embarrassment, they had a good laugh.

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
:) Nov 19, 2020

Nice one, Thomas!

Thomas T. Frost

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same in Spanish Nov 19, 2020

Preservativo. Not preservative. Although it does guard against certain outcomes.

[Edited at 2020-11-19 17:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-19 18:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-19 18:29 GMT]

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »