Thread poster: Gabriele Demuth
Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:33
Japanese to English
+ ...
Translating certificates Jul 16, 2017

I have solved this problem by not accepting personal documents. The last offer I had was from an agency that wanted to pay me USD 0.04 per word for a 50 word document. After I refused this offer, they came back and offered me USD 0.05 per word.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:33
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
I needed this! Jul 16, 2017

Michael Newton wrote:

I have solved this problem by not accepting personal documents. The last offer I had was from an agency that wanted to pay me USD 0.04 per word for a 50 word document. After I refused this offer, they came back and offered me USD 0.05 per word.

Michael, you made my day!DD Oh Lord, I needed this bit of laugh, thanks!

Gabriele, I still would probably like to encourage you to reconsider. If not with this client, then in general: once the formatting is done, you can use the template for other certificates and don't need to fuss around with the time-consuming work that is not reflected in word counting.
Clearly, GBP 5 charge is out of question. Though 30 also might be not workable for the agency.
How many pages are there in those certificates?
How many variations in formatting are there between different certificates from the same country?
Try to establish a fixed rate and offer it as a part of your rate package, it might work.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating certificates

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »