Local time: 14:47
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did Aug 31, 2017

Daniela Zambrini wrote:

Hi.
I recevied the exact same email for Italian yesterday evening. I did not click on the google docs link provided in the email. No way!!
A quick search led me to believe they do not exist at alla and that they are probably fishing around for information for further scamming.
Not sure if I should open a support ticket too.
I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Ciao,
Daniela

p.s. the IP address appears to be in Houston, Texas

[Edited at 2017-08-31 07:11 GMT]

I did open a ticket in Proz and the answer was: Nothing lead us to think this is scam.

Sorry, but I don't agree. Much more now with all your late reports... Everything makes me think it is, indeed, scam.

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 15:47
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks! Aug 31, 2017

Thanks, Araceli!

Saves me the trouble of opening a ticket

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:47
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
This is not good for anyone Aug 31, 2017

Anjo Sterringa wrote:
I have no idea what this feature entails, but it says:
Data security This person has a SecurePRO™ card. Because this person is not a ProZ.com Plus subscriber, to view his or her SecurePRO™ card you must be a ProZ.com Business member or Plus subscriber.

We're discussing a possible scammer here, but really - what earthly good does a statement like that do for anyone's profile? It's incredibly opaque, and extremely worrying since it involves something as important as data security. Isn't this a terribly negative statement to put with anyone's profile? Should we really be accepting that clients and/or suppliers will see this when they visit our own profiles? You have to wonder just how negative an effect this is having.

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Just received the same for Russian Aug 31, 2017

No, I didn't open the linked file. Straight to the Trash it goes.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Agreed Aug 31, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Anjo Sterringa wrote:
I have no idea what this feature entails, but it says:
Data security This person has a SecurePRO™ card. Because this person is not a ProZ.com Plus subscriber, to view his or her SecurePRO™ card you must be a ProZ.com Business member or Plus subscriber.

We're discussing a possible scammer here, but really - what earthly good does a statement like that do for anyone's profile? It's incredibly opaque, and extremely worrying since it involves something as important as data security. Isn't this a terribly negative statement to put with anyone's profile? Should we really be accepting that clients and/or suppliers will see this when they visit our own profiles? You have to wonder just how negative an effect this is having.

Ditto.

This is particularly true for jobs posted by new users or however users who don't have a linked BB entry, which are precisely those we would need more information about... (and I am referring more specifically to the 'Identity / Know Your Translator™ data' section of the 'card').

At any rate, if anyone's interested, at the moment the 'SecurePRO™ Card' of that user is basically empty and the few details that are there are not verified.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Same here Aug 31, 2017

Just received it too (EN>IT, like Daniela).

The mere fact that they are coming back now, at the end of August, with the very same 20,000,000 words project they advertised in June for another pair makes me wary.

At any rate, I was curious and therefore did open the Google docs form, and I must say the questions there didn't make it sound like a scam and also explicitly said they are looking for 'translators willing to work at their minimum rates' because of the size of t
... See more
Just received it too (EN>IT, like Daniela).

The mere fact that they are coming back now, at the end of August, with the very same 20,000,000 words project they advertised in June for another pair makes me wary.

At any rate, I was curious and therefore did open the Google docs form, and I must say the questions there didn't make it sound like a scam and also explicitly said they are looking for 'translators willing to work at their minimum rates' because of the size of the project. I played with the rates field a bit, and it seems it only accepts values between 0.01 and 0.35. They also add they use a specific online CAT tool, which too sounds relatively weird for a scam.

However, the fact they just registered that domain a few days ago and that it's impossible to verify the legitimacy of this business was a no go for me from the start. Their mentioning of 'minimum rates' didn't change my mind
Collapse

Ted Wozniak
Ted Wozniak  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:47
Member (2002)
German to English
Looks more like a bottom feeder than a scam to me. Aug 31, 2017

See https://www.paymentpractices.net/Subscribers/Agency.aspx?id=13712 for additional reports on requests for other languages.

With end client rates of USD 0.08- 0.15, that doesn't leave much for the translator/editor.

Elena Ivaniushina
Elena Ivaniushina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
And now for Russian, too Aug 31, 2017

I've also got this email today, sent via ProZ, the same 20,000,000 words, but this time for Russian, and the company is titled Trusted Russian.
With all goodwill, I find it very hard to believe than an unknown company would receive such a large amount of work in several languages at once.
I strongly suspect that this might be a phishing attempt in order to get the detailed information from genuine ProZ members.

Roy Chacón
Roy Chacón  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 07:47
English to Spanish
Again Sep 9, 2017

Now I got this, kind of the same as last time. Has someone actually worked for this guy?

BTW, never applied for the position he mentions....

Hello XXXX,

It's been some time since you applied for a freelance position at XXXXXXXXXXX as a Spanish linguist, and I'm happy to let you know we've chosen you to participate in this project

The project is set to kick off at the end o
... See more
Now I got this, kind of the same as last time. Has someone actually worked for this guy?

BTW, never applied for the position he mentions....

Hello XXXX,

It's been some time since you applied for a freelance position at XXXXXXXXXXX as a Spanish linguist, and I'm happy to let you know we've chosen you to participate in this project

The project is set to kick off at the end of October as we are busy getting the documents typed, but we may have some smaller projects to get you involved with in the meantime. Please note that due to the large volume of the project, the management has agreed that we can pay a rate of $0.05 USD per word, equally to all linguists involved. The editing/proofreading rate has also been agreed at $0.025 USD per word. Some linguists have entered higher rates, some lower, but we've agreed on these averages. For payment terms, we can pay within a maximum of 45 days after the date we receive your invoice, but payment will likely be made much sooner.

For those of you who have offered higher rates and are hesitant to agree with our offer, I would encourage you to do a test translation in Crowdin, where the large project will be translated, and you'll definitely notice a 1.5-2x increase in your translation speed because of the way the platform helps you with the translation.

If you agree to these terms, please sign this Contractor Agreement Form and, once I receive your submission, I'll send you your welcome package. Kindly avoid replying to this message as it is being sent to dozens of linguists and, as much as I'd like to, I will not be able to respond to every one of you personally

We're so excited to welcome you to the team soon, and hope for a fruitful cooperation!

Thanks,
Steve

[Edited at 2017-09-09 21:24 GMT]
Collapse

Walter Moura
Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:47
English to Portuguese
And again as well. Sep 9, 2017

I received the same message as Roy Chacon. only for Portuguese translation.

This one had a link to a site similar to several crowdsource translation platforms.

I don't know what to think of this, it feels like midway between a scam (20,000 words in several languages!!) and genuine entrepreneuring move.

Why don't this Steve Hall come to this forum to defend his case, as some other entrepreneurs have done?

Hello, Steve Hall, if you're readin
... See more
I received the same message as Roy Chacon. only for Portuguese translation.

This one had a link to a site similar to several crowdsource translation platforms.

I don't know what to think of this, it feels like midway between a scam (20,000 words in several languages!!) and genuine entrepreneuring move.

Why don't this Steve Hall come to this forum to defend his case, as some other entrepreneurs have done?

Hello, Steve Hall, if you're reading this, could you appear to explain yourself?

[Edited at 2017-09-09 21:51 GMT]
Collapse

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
E-mail does not work Sep 10, 2017

I had sent an answer to their offer by replying to the e-mail address from which the original message was sent, but that reply was returned as undeliverable.

For me, that indicates they don't really want to communicate. I'm out.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new? translation agency offering services as a proz member

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »