Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Should we all use the proz.com invoicing feature?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:26
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would not use it because.. Sep 24, 2015

... I want to keep my earnings and my clients private and if I used an online invoicing portal, especially a portal specific to translation that may decide to offer translation services in the future, I would fear that someone could try to contact my clients and try to undercut my rates either now or in the future and/or use the "big data" to publish rate guidelines based on the low rates being charged by some translators.

[Edited at 2015-09-25 15:18 GMT]

Maria Hoskins
Maria Hoskins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:26
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Problem with invoicing system today? Oct 6, 2015

I love this system and have been using it for four years now...

But there appears to be a problem with it today

It is no reproducing the details inserted in the last two fields... Including the how to make payment details...

Please get back on this...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:26
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
@ Maria Oct 6, 2015

I advise you to raise a support ticket about this specific problem. I very much doubt that ProZ.com staff monitor this forum every minute, but they will respond to a support ticket giving details.

Maria Hoskins
Maria Hoskins  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Already done that Oct 6, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I advise you to raise a support ticket about this specific problem. I very much doubt that ProZ.com staff monitor this forum every minute, but they will respond to a support ticket giving details.

Thanks. I did that a few hours ago they still haven't replied. Not good.

metafrasi.pl
metafrasi.pl
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Not ever Aug 26, 2017

No.

1. It would be an obvious security problem for myself and my clients.
2. Language issues.
3. Not compatible with many local fiscal requirements.

As asked by thread creator, I will not proceed to discuss what I do use.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:26
German to English
+ ...
I looked at it today Aug 27, 2017

To get this out of the way first:
I believe such an invoice has better chance of getting paid in time than one issued by an individual freelancer.

I'm curious why the form of an invoice, and in this one in particular, would have that kind of effect.

I looked at the feature yesterday and sent myself one to see how it functions. It is more cumbersome, taking more time, than what I do now, I can't put in the information that my invoices usually contain as easily. I can't bill as I presently do. To explain: At present I have a simple Word template and I simply paste in a new client's particulars, or use an invoice created for an existing client and fill in date, fee, order reference. This takes about 30 seconds or less. The invoice is saved on a location on my computer where I know to find it among all other invoices, as well as an external drive.

With the ProZ invoice, every time there is a new client, I have to click different sections and fill out details, some of which are not necessary. I get several new, one-time only mostly, clients a week this would be cumbersome. 2) I was not able to write in my calculated, quoted fee. It seems that the system wanted to calculate it for me, using a per-word or other formula. When we derive our fees, we figure in many factors and things like per-word fees are merely a baseline. 3) It features "discounts" in a way that I think will make clients expect this to be a regular policy - I surmise that it has to do with the common "cat tool formula" I've seen (and don't use).

Then there is the problem of it being on a site of a forum, instead of being stored on my own computer, which makes it more complicated to access and less private. No, I would not use it - the "should" part puzzled me.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:26
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it was a bad idea Aug 28, 2017

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

To get this out of the way first:
I believe such an invoice has better chance of getting paid in time than one issued by an individual freelancer.

I'm curious why the form of an invoice, and in this one in particular, would have that kind of effect.

I looked at the feature yesterday and sent myself one to see how it functions. It is more cumbersome, taking more time, than what I do now, I can't put in the information that my invoices usually contain as easily. I can't bill as I presently do. To explain: At present I have a simple Word template and I simply paste in a new client's particulars, or use an invoice created for an existing client and fill in date, fee, order reference. This takes about 30 seconds or less. The invoice is saved on a location on my computer where I know to find it among all other invoices, as well as an external drive.

With the ProZ invoice, every time there is a new client, I have to click different sections and fill out details, some of which are not necessary. I get several new, one-time only mostly, clients a week this would be cumbersome. 2) I was not able to write in my calculated, quoted fee. It seems that the system wanted to calculate it for me, using a per-word or other formula. When we derive our fees, we figure in many factors and things like per-word fees are merely a baseline. 3) It features "discounts" in a way that I think will make clients expect this to be a regular policy - I surmise that it has to do with the common "cat tool formula" I've seen (and don't use).

Then there is the problem of it being on a site of a forum, instead of being stored on my own computer, which makes it more complicated to access and less private. No, I would not use it - the "should" part puzzled me.

I myself had never tried it out just thought such a system COULD make a difference to customers.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should we all use the proz.com invoicing feature?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »