Dragomir Kovacevic
Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:19
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
MT is not solely a Web-based MT pre-translation Jan 29, 2014

Interesting topics,

may I add a comment that we might and should take into a serious consideration some pre-translated files, done with clients' TM-s? Those TM-s might be a precious element.

And when a clients asks us for a bilingual file, or for a TM to be sent alongside of translated file, do we decline sternly? "Nay, my job is unique, arrange yourself with the target file!" Can we do this way?

Or...?

Stephen Emm
Stephen Emm  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:19
French to English
+ ...
There are different types of MT Jan 29, 2014

I would never accept any job that had been translated through Google translate and I have never been offered any of these jobs.
However, I did accept a couple of jobs to "post-edit" technical documents that had been machine translated by a large UK company. The translation was not terrible quality, but they still needed a lot of work to sound correct in English.
After a couple of these jobs I decided that the work was just too tedious and unrewarding to continue and what they were pa
... See more
I would never accept any job that had been translated through Google translate and I have never been offered any of these jobs.
However, I did accept a couple of jobs to "post-edit" technical documents that had been machine translated by a large UK company. The translation was not terrible quality, but they still needed a lot of work to sound correct in English.
After a couple of these jobs I decided that the work was just too tedious and unrewarding to continue and what they were paying me did not really match up to what I could earn translating or editing. I politely told them that I wasn't interested in any more work of this kind.
I will not be repeating this experience!
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:19
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What do you think the client expect when they have their file MTPEed? Oct 2, 2020

Do they require you to deliver a product at the same quality as a human translation? Or do they care less about quality/more about saving a few bucks?

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
Words are important Oct 3, 2020

If we're going to be taken seriously as a profession, we need to have standards and keep to them, including standard definitions.

If a document has been MTed it hasn't been "translated" for the purposes of most of the standards most of the TSPs claim to be operating under (say, ISO 17100). Translation doesn't mean some old crap in another language, it has a standard definition!

Also, you use the term "proofread", which under the same standards means check a text (i.e.
... See more
If we're going to be taken seriously as a profession, we need to have standards and keep to them, including standard definitions.

If a document has been MTed it hasn't been "translated" for the purposes of most of the standards most of the TSPs claim to be operating under (say, ISO 17100). Translation doesn't mean some old crap in another language, it has a standard definition!

Also, you use the term "proofread", which under the same standards means check a text (i.e. galley proofs) prior to publication, or as ISO 17100 puts it: "examine the revised target language content (2.3.3) and applying corrections (2.5.4) before printing".

If the document had been translated, you could "review" it or "revise" it. If it's been MTed, you can't review or revise it, and you certainly can't proofread it. You would be offering one of the value added services listed in the annexes of most standards. Under ISO 17100:

a) certification, authorization according to national legislation and requirements;
b) assistance with notarization and legalization;
c) adaptation;
d) rewriting;
e) updating;
f) localization;
g) internationalization;
h) globalization;
i) terminology management;
j) transcription;
k) transliteration;
l) transcreation;
m) DTP graphic and web design camera-ready artwork;
n) technical writing;
o) language and culture consultancy;
p) terminological concordance;
q) translation memory alignment;
r) alignment of bilingual parallel texts;
s) pre-editing and post-editing;
t) subtitling;
u) voice-over;
v) review and/or revision of target language content from third parties;
w) back-translation.

[Edited at 2020-10-03 11:28 GMT]
Collapse

Mirza Arif
Mirza Arif
Indonesia
Local time: 04:19
English to Indonesian
+ ...
new comer Oct 23, 2022

I'm new in the industry. reading some of the comment, can I say "only accept MTPE if the rate is higher than translation work it self"? have a good one.

Anton Konashenok

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
There is no such job called proofreading MT Oct 23, 2022

Copying a text and pasting it into Google (or any MT) and copying the result text back is not an activity to call it as job, business or work.
There is no such job called MTPE.
But, if the text constructed by agency's internal TM and pre-translation feature based on that TM, then it can be calculated as the highest discounted rate (anything between 70 and 50% match rate can be calculated as 75%, 80% or 85% of full rate.
But this happens only if client has it's own confirmed TM
... See more
Copying a text and pasting it into Google (or any MT) and copying the result text back is not an activity to call it as job, business or work.
There is no such job called MTPE.
But, if the text constructed by agency's internal TM and pre-translation feature based on that TM, then it can be calculated as the highest discounted rate (anything between 70 and 50% match rate can be calculated as 75%, 80% or 85% of full rate.
But this happens only if client has it's own confirmed TM (with trusted translation units in it)

In such cases I can do even more discounts.
If client give me a million units TM (which I can reach and copy to my self), I can perform translation even with 50% discounted rate.

Request client to give you a pretranslated text result from Trados or MemoQ (I suggest Dejavu's pretranslation feature)
Or better client gives you his whole TM and you may use this feature whereever you want.
But be sure about memory's content.
And after protect it forever (it wont be yours but you may use it as reference for yourself)

Best,

M. Ali
Collapse

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Probably not, but it might depend on your language pairs. Oct 24, 2022

Mirza Arif wrote:

I'm new in the industry. reading some of the comment, can I say "only accept MTPE if the rate is higher than translation work it self"? have a good one.

I can not speak for your language pairs, but for mine there are a several types of texts for which MTPE provides a considerable gain in terms of speed for the same quality. So there is no way you would be granted MTPE jobs if you would charge a rate that is higher than your translation rate. I charge 60 tot 70% of my translation rate for MTPE while generating the same turnover as for translation work.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you feel about proofreading MT?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »