Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:18
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 30, 2017

Hi guys,

This issue has been going on for many years and versions of Studio. I wonder how is that possible that you still haven't fixed it once and for all.

Often, after confirming a segment (ctrl Alt Send), crazy commands/buttons get activated. If you're concentrated on your next segment to be translated and do not pay attention to it, you risk to give wrong instructions, change basic structure of your Studio appearance or make even worse mistakes. I have just changed
... See more
Hi guys,

This issue has been going on for many years and versions of Studio. I wonder how is that possible that you still haven't fixed it once and for all.

Often, after confirming a segment (ctrl Alt Send), crazy commands/buttons get activated. If you're concentrated on your next segment to be translated and do not pay attention to it, you risk to give wrong instructions, change basic structure of your Studio appearance or make even worse mistakes. I have just changed the layout of my Studio windows right because a button got activated after confirming a segment!!

It is a commonspread issue amongst my colleagues and it was highlighed twice during roadshows attended by me, but it is still ignored in the end by SDL.
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:18
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
ctrl + alt + send? Jul 30, 2017

This is not the default shortcut for comfirming a segment and moving to the next. I have it customized to alt + x and rarely if ever make any error entering this combination but the default keystroke is ctrl + enter (if I remember correctly). There is a risk in using the alt key in a combination because if you mistype anything or miss the ctrl button (or your keyboard needs to be replaced), you can indeed activate another action.
I occasionally make unwanted keystrokes with an unwanted re
... See more
This is not the default shortcut for comfirming a segment and moving to the next. I have it customized to alt + x and rarely if ever make any error entering this combination but the default keystroke is ctrl + enter (if I remember correctly). There is a risk in using the alt key in a combination because if you mistype anything or miss the ctrl button (or your keyboard needs to be replaced), you can indeed activate another action.
I occasionally make unwanted keystrokes with an unwanted result which could include a change in window layout, but it is an error on my part. I don't understand why the most common function besides translating (confirming and going to next segment) would need 3 keys instead of 2. That is 150% more work, so I would try changing this combination and see if that helps.
Collapse

Marco Oberto
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl+Alt+Send not always correctly confirms a segment and moves to next unconfirmed segment Jul 30, 2017

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

This is not the default shortcut for comfirming a segment and moving to the next. ... the default keystroke is ctrl + enter (if I remember correctly).

Moving your cursor on the Confirm buttons, you should see the right combination.
In my Studio freelance version (2017 edition), Ctrl+Alt+Send is indeed the combination for Confirming a segment and moving to next unconfirmed segment.

I doubt that issues arise from me forgetting to use correctly this combination, since this issue has been raised by other colleagues.

[Modificato alle 2017-07-30 13:48 GMT]

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Depends on user profile Jul 30, 2017

Have you read this thread? http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/295103-segment_confirmation_shortcut_in_trados_studio_2015.html

Marco Oberto
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
User profile correctly set as Jul 30, 2017

Do you know where to check/change the user profile (from Studio to Default and viceversa) ? Thanks for your help

Marco Oberto
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
User profile: File > Setup > Manage User Profiles Jul 30, 2017

Just found... mine is correctly set as Default (in Italian: Predefinito), though.

[Modificato alle 2017-07-30 14:55 GMT]

Lianne van de Ven
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Default chosen at setup Jul 30, 2017

Marco Oberto wrote:

Just found... mine is correctly set as Default (in Italian: Predefinito), though.

[Modificato alle 2017-07-30 14:45 GMT]

I am not sure but you may have chosen the Trados (.ttx?) profile as default during setup so that is now your default. I don't know the nitty-gritty details on this but this should be the right direction to solve your issues. Success.

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Marco Jul 30, 2017

I'm sorry for your issue.

The thing is that I use Studio and to confirm a segment and move to the next one I only use Ctrl + Send.

I don't know if it will be of any help.

Cheers!

Natalia

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Alt key problem Jul 31, 2017

As Lianne said, this is because you are not pressing the key combination correctly. When you press the Alt key, the menu/ribbon gets activated, and when you hit Enter, you commit the command that is highlighted. When you use the Alt key as part of a shortcut, you have to press it correctly with the other modifier keys, or else you might have a different result.

As mentioned before, you can also change your key bindings to whatever suits you better. I personally prefer the Alt+Enter,
... See more
As Lianne said, this is because you are not pressing the key combination correctly. When you press the Alt key, the menu/ribbon gets activated, and when you hit Enter, you commit the command that is highlighted. When you use the Alt key as part of a shortcut, you have to press it correctly with the other modifier keys, or else you might have a different result.

As mentioned before, you can also change your key bindings to whatever suits you better. I personally prefer the Alt+Enter, Ctrl+Alt+Enter, and Ctrl+ Enter for the different kinds of confirmations possible in Trados.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Crazy commands/buttons activate themselves when confirming segments

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »