Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
I think I have been contacted by the first "paying member" scammer of the history...
Thread poster: Jean-Yves Préault
Jean-Yves Préault
Jean-Yves Préault  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:28
English to French
+ ...
Mar 6, 2017

Hi everybody!

Almost everything is in the tittle.
I have been contacted (poor email sent by a gmail address btw) at 18h30 by a new member offering me to work together. The email was sent through PROZ.

Account created on March'17, member since March 2017, last update of the account today 18h12.

The point is that the only few info on the profile (City/region/postal code) absolutely don't match together.
Plus, the only visit of my account today sho
... See more
Hi everybody!

Almost everything is in the tittle.
I have been contacted (poor email sent by a gmail address btw) at 18h30 by a new member offering me to work together. The email was sent through PROZ.

Account created on March'17, member since March 2017, last update of the account today 18h12.

The point is that the only few info on the profile (City/region/postal code) absolutely don't match together.
Plus, the only visit of my account today shows an IP apparently from the US...
Well, at least the city indicated in the profile is a French one.

I can't mention a name since I only highly suspect this is a scam...
...But honestly, a paying member ?
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
By no means the first! Mar 6, 2017

PREAULT JY wrote:
...But honestly, a paying member ?

It is amazing, isn't it? Yet it has happened countless times before — a sheer loss for them, since of course they don't get a refund on the fee paid!

Still, i guess it's a small enough price to pay if they successfully scam even ONE gullible person — and of course, the mere fact of being a paying member is supposed to increase their credibility!

Stay safe out there, peeps!

Francisco ABREU
Francisco ABREU  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:28
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Something to look into Mar 6, 2017

I don't link things like this should be taken lightly.

Definitely it's something ProZ admin should look into.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Please submit a support request Mar 6, 2017

Hi PREAULT JY,

Whenever you suspect a scam or fraud through ProZ.com, especially with a job posted on the site or involving a profile with paid membership, you should submit a support request to get site staff involved.

Regards,
Enrique

Jean-Yves Préault
Jean-Yves Préault  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
stolen credit cards make it simple... Mar 6, 2017

Well,

When posting my message I realised that a scammer would certainly not hesitate to use a stolen credit card.

Anyway, I have reported this strange user to the staff and let this forum message, the best I can do I guess...

Unable to find contact details with a postal code that matches the city that matches the region. C'mon dude, what a poor scammer you are! Shame on you!

... See more
Well,

When posting my message I realised that a scammer would certainly not hesitate to use a stolen credit card.

Anyway, I have reported this strange user to the staff and let this forum message, the best I can do I guess...

Unable to find contact details with a postal code that matches the city that matches the region. C'mon dude, what a poor scammer you are! Shame on you!

JY
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Profile blocked Mar 6, 2017

Thanks to the several members who sent a warning to our support system. The profile has been blocked.

Kind regards,
Enrique

cloudhunter (X)
cloudhunter (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I got one now Mar 6, 2017

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

Thanks to the several members who sent a warning to our support system. The profile has been blocked.

Kind regards,
Enrique

I'm not sure if it is the same profile, but I have also received the message, the time stamp: 19:46. How can I provide you with the details?

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Please submit a support request Mar 6, 2017

cloudhunter wrote:

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

Kind regards,
Enrique

I'm not sure if it is the same profile, but I have also received the message, the time stamp: 19:46. How can I provide you with the details?

Hi Cloudhunter,

You should submit a support request.

Regards,
Enrique

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
The profile of my sender is not blocked Mar 6, 2017

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

Kind regards,
Enrique

How can I see that the profile is blocked? I received a somewhat suspicious email at 19:38, but this profile looks still active.

Colette Magalowski
Colette Magalowski
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
I got a scam mail as well Mar 6, 2017

I submitted a support request some minutes ago.

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

cloudhunter wrote:

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

Kind regards,
Enrique

Hi Cloudhunter,

Regards,
Enrique

cloudhunter (X)
cloudhunter (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
support request Mar 6, 2017

Colette Magalowski wrote:

I submitted a support request some minutes ago.

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

cloudhunter wrote:

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

Kind regards,
Enrique

Hi Cloudhunter,

Regards,
Enrique

So did I. The profile does seem active.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not blocked Mar 7, 2017

Kay-Viktor Stegemann wrote:

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

Kind regards,
Enrique

How can I see that the profile is blocked? I received a somewhat suspicious email at 19:38, but this profile looks still active.

I believe it's the same sender, and the profile is not blocked. If it then is the same one, a profile with no info, registered Mar 17, 2017, and with a gmail address.

The email starts with a hello, no closing, no signature.

This is indeed a new one, a (possible) scammer becoming a paying member.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:28
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Me too Mar 7, 2017

I got it yesterday too - exactly as described by Thayenga here - and the Proz profile is still active and not blocked, although it contains no information other than the map showing a location in France. I too have sent in a support request.

Mireille BOULANGER
Mireille BOULANGER  Identity Verified
France
Member (2013)
English to French
I got it too... Mar 7, 2017

About the same time...Angoulême is absolutely not in Alsace!! I put it back where it belongs..in the trash..

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
PAYING member? Mar 7, 2017

They didn't overpay the subscription, did they, and ask for a cheque for the difference? Just wondering ...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I think I have been contacted by the first "paying member" scammer of the history...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »